Sign in to follow this  
old man

Engine has died

Can anybody give me some advise on what I should do, my valver is showing shavings of metal in the oil and is knocking which as you know is not good. I have spent the last 18 months getting her back to what a c should be and to be quite honest I am gutted and can not afford to do anything about it (in the process of moving house). Basically she has to go, my question is - do I trade her in or would somebody want to buy a c which has a engine that will need major surgery. The car is taxed till April next year and is due a mot next month all it needs is the front top strut mounts as the car had loads of work done not so long ago.

get some pics up mate. Dependant on price and condition of the rest of the car someone will probably want her to play with. Valver lumps arent too expensive and its a relatively easy engine swap.

As a trade in to be honest youll probably get offered peanuts for it.

Sorry to hear your news

Good luck

Gav

Valver lumps (at least the 1.8) can be had on eBay for about £120 delivered. Find a local breaker of Mk2 Golfs and enquire (there are a few contacts on Club GTI that may be able to help). Old engine out, and new one in, even at a garage, it shouldn't cost too much to fix, certainly more beneficial than flogging the car in its current state, and less hassle than breaking it.

Good luck with it either way,

Tom

Hang on to it mate... Really, although everything looks glimb at the moment, engines are always readily available and it's not a hard job to do either...

Your last option is breaking it rather than trading it in as beleive me you'll be lucky to get £100 for it....

Stick with it mate... there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers guys, am still not quite "compos mentos" on what I should do, I have lost all interest just now. Will get some photo`s up so maybe somebody will want my baby.

just put a new engine in it, my Rado had ago at testing my patience engine wise.in the end cost of repairs and parts wasnt worth it ,so just got 2 engines for the measly sum of £60 off ebay. put together the strongest and banged it in, trouble free motoring since.All completed within in 13hrs and yes i was knackered afterwards.lol