Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

Heated Front Washer Jets

Are all Corrados fitted with Heated Washer Jets?

Mine certailnly has them, but they don't work :cry:

The wires have become corroded and pull quite easily out from their connectors under the bonnet.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Or should I just replace them?

The plastic connectors on the bonnet seem very delicate.

Cheers

The heated washer jets only work when the rear heated screen is on. This also switches on the heaters in the door mirrors as well... 8) Did you have the rear screen heater on when you tested 'em to see if they work? Also, IIRC they aren't heaters for the water, they just de-ice the nozzles so that they'll work in the winter. I could be wrong about this bit though... :lol:

Yeah they just keep the nozzles above freezing point but sometimes in the cold you can see hot air vapours coming off the screen when you use them. If you use decent screenwash (with antifreeze), you don't get freezing problems anyway.

Some people wrap the screenwash hose around the radiator hose for added protection!

Kev

On a related subject. Rear screen washer...

I get no water on the rear screen, but I *did* hear water being squirted... somewhere... I can see no evidence of it being inside the back of the car...

Is this the standard "little pipe thing that breaks on all Corrados" problem or is it likely to be elsewhere?

Cheers,

M.

Ok guys, thanks for the info.

Is it easy enough to replace the little heater things?

What parts do I need to get?

I get no water on the rear screen, but I *did* hear water being squirted... somewhere... I can see no evidence of it being inside the back of the car...

Is this the standard "little pipe thing that breaks on all Corrados" problem or is it likely to be elsewhere?

Yes, its a common problem on the MK2 and lead to rust appearing under the tailgate where the rubber boot is, easily fixed with some hammerite but worth fixing before it gets that bad!

you used to be able to buy a kit that fitted into your engine water hose to heat the water from the washer bottle on its wat to the screen. My dad had one fitted to a Saab he owned years ago.

On a related subject. Rear screen washer...

Cheers,

M.

Try sticking a pin in the rear washer jet and wiggling it about a bit. The jet only has a very small amount of movement, if moved out of range too far, it impedes flow. Usually works.

Kev

I repaired my heated jets this afternoon. As with yours Mike, the wires had corroded and broken off.

1st disconnect the electrical plug a bit further back attached to the bonnet in a plastic support. Then if you tug on the plastic connection for the water pipe on the jets, a section of the heated jet comes out.

You should have two metal strips on either side of the plastic pipe connection. These just slide forward (away from the pipe connection). All you are then left with is a small piece of wire terminated at one end with a black plastic plug and (if it were intact) 2 small thin 'U' shaped metal contacts.

I cleaned off any corrosion with sandpaper, stripped back a little of the broken cable and then soldered the broken wires back on. A small bit of insolation tape to cover and bare wire then refitted it.

Approx 30 mins work and thats only because it took so long to clean the connections up.

Hope this helps

Tattie