Sign in to follow this  
rixy

3.1 Conversion to a 2.9 vr

so does anyone know how much a block is worth? if you say you can get it re bored for me for 100squiddies?

Will the standard crank run the 3.1 then, obv in standard form im guessing it wont quite push 3.1, am i right, is that why it needs a regrind, to lengthen the stroke?

It needs a regrind anyway mate, hence the engine change. I dont think it will fit the 3.1???

Anyone offer a price for my block then?

Plan your mods well and don't jump straight in, if you want to lengthen the stroke you need to get a special proceedure done called 'offset grinding' which will effeeectively give you a longer stroke and more torque at lower revs but you need to make sure you know how far the piston will poke out the top then you have 4 options:-

1/machine the crown down

2/buy shorter rods

3/offset grind the gudgeon pin

4/use an EIP 3mm gasket

H8RRA uses the 3mm gasket and it works very well indeed giving 331bhp

Chris

what other engine mods has H8RRA got then to give his 331 bhp?

Do i actually need to offset grind the crank to run the larger pistons, or is it just a good idea to do so?

It's just a further mod, do it now, or later but you need to plan your engine like i say.

There are so many things you can do to mod it that it's an open ended topic that will progress forever, that's why i started a thread 'Tuning the VR6' but it seemed to die quickly which i was surprised about really, thought it would have been a hot thread for a good while, i guess lots of folk like to get things chromed whilst wearing thier flowery frocks rather than getting dirty.

Chris

yeah, youre probably right, so what else can be done to it whilst its out then, i was going the get the crank knife edged anyway, along with a lightened fly wheel, but what other internal mods can be done to achieve more power and torque?

i guess lots of folk like to get things chromed whilst wearing thier flowery frocks rather than getting dirty.

:lol:

no, no chris, stan24v, ha ha, i been reading this post 4 so long even im forgetting what im supposed to be buying, lol

I dont know mate. £100 to get it bored, and I was told the block is worth £300 as is, but I dont want that for it. How about £250 bored, and you get a courier to pick it up? Will Double-6s knows a good one, as he bought the head a while back.

sounds ok, i havent got the cash at the minute, but should have within a few weeks, if thats still ok? I just need to find out exactly what pistons im going to use, so you can get it bored to the right size? did you say vince had some low c/r forged 3.1 jobbies in for around 500.00, is that all in with all the other bits too? or would you reccomend going for eip?

I wouldn'r suggest you go low compression unless using a turbo really.

The superchargers are a 'low-blow' unit and won't be sending 20psi like a turbo could to fill the engine so keep it std or close to std C/R

Chris

The superchargers are a 'low-blow' unit and won't be sending 20psi like a turbo could to fill the engine so keep it std or close to std C/R

Chris

Vince is thinking of 9.5:1, just to take the edge off if you go over 10psi and he has a source of pistons machined for that CR.

Or alternatively, he thinks it might be possible to stack two VW metal gaskets instead, just needs to find the time to suss it all out amongst his daily chores.

Chris

Vince is thinking of 9.5:1, just to take the edge off if you go over 10psi and he has a source of pistons machined for that CR.

Or alternatively, he thinks it might be possible to stack two VW metal gaskets instead, just needs to find the time to suss it all out amongst his daily chores.

I spoke vince the other day about this, the yet to get back to me with price to lower CR with two metal head gaskets.

ok, the ones from vince sound ok, how can i get in contact with him to talk it through? whats his name on here, or isnt he registered?

I don't think he posts on this forum however, we have run a 2 gasket setup and it worked well however the best one was the EIP spacer gasket that H8RRA is currently using and as we know it's running at 331Bhp so it's reliable.

Remember, the lower the C/R is the higher PSI you will have to get the charger to produce to achive the same BHP but will return lower mpg that the higher setup, the choice is yours.

Jake whom runs a Golf VR6 got 328 on the Stealth rollers with std C/R.

Chris

right o, i thinkim understanding this, lol.

So it might be better to run a slightly lower c/r than to run a ver low one, as it will save the charger working its arse off?