Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

Throttle bodies

Bill used to run slide throttles quite a few years ago, absolutely no intake restriction at all when fully open, awesome!

I think he got around 220ish hp from his 2.0 valver with cams and slide throttles. Can't remember the torque, think it was around 160ish.

Advantages -

More top end power

Throttles moved away from the exhaust manifold heat

A throttle per cylinder so loads more air going in

Easily interchangable trumpets for tuning

Disadvantages -

Horrendous noise (but some people like it)

No inlet tract length, so reduces bottom end torque

Very thirsty

Crap idle

a nice na engine is good but the amount you need to but into the head and bottom end to make it worth having itbs is a shit load plus a small turbo on a standard valve with stacked gaskets at say 10psi will make a far better driver and probalby more epower

thats what I was thinking to be honest - otherwise more people would have done it!

the turbo option is the big draw at the moment, you only live once!

Disadvantages -

Very thirsty

Crap idle

I think your thinking of Carbs here......

Fuel consumption if the engine is properly mapped is very good. Our company caddy on throttle bodies achieves well into the 30's on longer trips. Its true they will drink if you cane it..... and they do beg to be cained if you enjoy the noise/power!!!

Well set up throttle bodies on a 2litre produce a good ammount of torque, our caddy pulls well from 1000rpm in fith all the way to the limiter at about 130mph (on our private road of course)

The idle if properly set up on a good management system should be silky smooth.

I'd have had the noise thing down as an advantage..... but thats just me. You can have an inlet box made which runs to a stock filter and the noise is greatly reduced.

Our caddy was done on a budget... we made the inlet manifold from a cut down stock 16v one, £80 throttle bodies from a GSXR 750 bike and an emerald ecu.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, which is why the Honda VTECs and M3s sell so well. Some people just love that high end surge and noise and are happy to sacrifice a bit of torque.

Personally, I'd turbo the valver. It's just such a better engine than a throttle bodied one. Use it's strength and potential to your advantage and get that blower on there :-)

Our company caddy on throttle bodies achieves well into the 30's on longer trips. Its true they will drink if you cane it..... and they do beg to be cained if you enjoy the noise/power!!!

80 miles out of £20 anyone? - I think Simon enjoys the noise/power a bit too much :lol:

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

It has to be said, I do love that N/A raw-ness you get from throttle bodies, though i'm not sure id like them on my daily driver

Short vid of RKE Caddy

Another short vid of RKE caddy

the turbo generation eh :roll: :lol: suppose turbo's make sense for out and out power>£ though,although i cant stand em me self.

Disadvantages -

Very thirsty

Crap idle

I think your thinking of Carbs here......

Fuel consumption if the engine is properly mapped set up is very good. Our company caddy on throttle bodies achieves well into the 30's on longer trips. Its true they will drink if you cane it..... and they do beg to be cained if you enjoy the noise/power!!!

Well set up throttle bodies on a 2litre produce a good ammount of torque, our caddy pulls well from 1000rpm in fith all the way to the limiter at about 130mph (on our private road of course)

same with carbs tbh :)

if they are set up correctly and in good condition,the tickover and driveability should pretty mutch match a fuel injected motor.

and anyone who says that carbs need setting up every so often is talking shit,your carbs are tired! or have worn throttle spindles or! someone keeps twiddling screws under your bonnet. :D

ram pipe length can be played with to change the characteristics/power bands etc,one hell of a science like!

my old mk1 with an 1800 kr lump on 45's produced 174@ the fly when set up just the once.it was standard as far as i know,little unsure about the head though,never looked at it.

it ran perfectly,eating a few big power modern cars along the way until it spoke its last words :( ticking over bang on 1k and barking...

th_mk1revving.jpg

A carbon fibre type air box can also be fabricated to house the trumpets as similar to my old V8 Cerbera with a 'remote filter' to keep the noise down.

A guy on the Audifans forum did a similar mod on his 2.0 16V Coupe with quite impressive results - he also went the DIY ECU route (can't remember the name)

olly,very nice 8) !

thanks, my mate macca now owns the car but when any modifications or improvements are required I always do it for him,, 8)

forum is worth a look too riley,, lots of olly elworthy fettled motors on there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,