Sign in to follow this  
slant

Battery drain

I know someone will tell me to use the search, I get it all the time. I cant find anything this time. So, heres the deal. I am now on my 3rd battery in under a year. I found the wire on the battery that is the source of the current draw and dis connected it. When I do so the battery stays charged. The problem is, it seems to be a main power feed for the car, so nothing works without it. There are 3 wires on the positive terminal,on that goes to the starter and two smaller (about 10 gauge), that goe somewhere else, one of those is pulling .42 amps and is killin my batteries. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look for this current draw?

You need to start pulling fuses while looking at the current draw and find which circuit is the problem, then look at each device on the circuit etc...

Well I ran a few test today. I found that the realy on the drivers side seatbelt motor, which is stuck and unplugged, with the fuse out, was coming on all the time. I took that out and the current drain on the battery dropped from .42 to around .11 amps. I am still a little concerned as I did read somewhere on this forum that the draw should only be around a few hundredths of an amp. I do have alot of aftermarket (im an installer) electronics in the car though, so the memory wires on some of them combined with the alarm/remote start, could account for some of it. Thanks for the help though. Lets hope it starts in the morning.

Corrados are notorious for having messy electrics that drain batteries. .11 amps constant drain means a totally flat battery in around 24 days, which is about the going rate. That sounds fine to me.

dr_mat wrote

Corrados are notorious for having messy electrics that drain batteries

The doctor and I are strongly agreed on this. You have to live with it, in most cases the source of the loss in unfathomable.

I trickle charge mine every other day, car then runs fine and no-frills Quantum battery is about four years old. (£25 over here for a small Draper trickle charge unit.)

Thats some drain Ive often wondered how the mrs has managed to run the car with the stereo on,the heater on and every other electrical gadget on for her 4 mile run to work,thank god she hasnt got air con today

C

Corrados are notorious for having messy electrics that drain batteries. .11 amps constant drain means a totally flat battery in around 24 days, which is about the going rate. That sounds fine to me.

Really? Mine was standing around for months without running, and started up first time. Granted the stereo had been removed, but everything else was connected.

I finally found what was draining my battery in four days. However, the immobiliser still seems to draw enough on its own to kill the battery in about three weeks. I can live with that.

I finally found what was draining my battery in four days. However, the immobiliser still seems to draw enough on its own to kill the battery in about three weeks. I can live with that.

Here, you need one of them Joe cell batteries. I've heard that'll never go dead bcstudent

Here, you need one of them Joe cell batteries. I've heard that'll never go dead bcstudent

I know them well; they arrive on a golden Parcel Force carriage drawn by two white unicorns.

I know them well; they arrive on a golden Parcel Force carriage drawn by two white unicorns.

Those are the ones. They arrive mysteriously, just before you actually knew you needed one, to a fanfare of trumpets, and come with a little leaflet telling you to forget what you've been told about conventional electricity, because this is Joes electricity.... Oh and make sure you never have any negative thoughts, otherwise the warranty becomes void.

This is probably the worst thing I could write (particularly as I have an exam to get to this morning and I've not been out in the C for around a week), but I've been complete happy with my battery.

Not sure what's on it, but it's been faultless over the past 3 years (apart from once which was my fault!). Gone 3 weeks before and still started first time (just left without disconnecting anything).

Guess I better save up because I know it's going to die now in typical C fashion.

Mine can't be left for more than 5 days without being driven... my guess is that it's the alarm! Currently in the process of running power down to my shed and building a battery charging shelf :lol:

It also doesn't help when I leave my interior light on for 2 days :lol: