Sign in to follow this  
mr.ots

Monitron Speed Scameras

Driving around London lately I've noticed a number of new speed cameras popping up which sit on higher masts than the standard Gatso cameras and have smaller camera units at the top. Having recently received 3 points and a £60 fine for speeding (in my works van ironically and caught by a Talivan) I've done a little research on these new "Monitron" cameras and found out that unlike the older Gatsos these cameras don’t use film and transmit the pictures via ADSL to the police for processing. In addition they are not detected by in-car laser detectors as they are activated by Piezo strips buried in the road surface as opposed to K band radar. The cameras are also being placed near to traffic lights and can also detect both speeding and red light jumping!!!

For those of you who thought that the speed camera situation was bad, it has just got a whole lot worse. Keep 'em peeled

Paul

the specs cameras work on the same princilpe..they work out your average speed between 3 cameras,and with them being digital you can detect them

look out for really tall skinny gatsos. Have seen them with both grey and yellow posts, but all have had yellow cameras.

Very odd looking. Springing up left right and centre around west london.

yeah dude, all the way from me in kingston through richmond, kew, acton, sure i saw one in wembley.... not good.

im gonna get banned soon.

oh well, i just hope that Raod Angel and Road Pilot keep on top of the gprs positioning... I should be safe enough. Thinking about getting a third gprs detector just to make sure, and maybe a snooper for the rest of the cameras!! Soon my dash will be worth more than the car with all the speed camera detectors I have!

yeah dude, all the way from me in kingston through richmond, kew, acton, sure i saw one in wembley.... not good.

im gonna get banned soon.

oh well, i just hope that Raod Angel and Road Pilot keep on top of the gprs positioning... I should be safe enough. Thinking about getting a third gprs detector just to make sure, and maybe a snooper for the rest of the cameras!! Soon my dash will be worth more than the car with all the speed camera detectors I have!

:lol:

Well the GPS on my tom tom picks up most of them but that's only becuase the Monitrons are replacing the existing Gatsos. GPS is definately the way to go though and it's looking like the laser detectors will be made illegal soon anyway :(

its getting really silly. Your licence is at risk every time you knip out, your constantly looking for all these different types of camera and worrying if you've just passed one instead of consentrating on the road. Madness.

I'm told that Labour are considering introducing legislation that means all new babies will be chipped with RFID, just under the skin on the back of the necks (a painless and quick procedure with a local anaesthetic). This will allow road charging later in life, just by driving past a detector panel. The plan is to tie this into the id card database and allow you to authenticate yourself just by waving a detector over the back of your neck.

we've had these in this part of the world for well over 2 years, they aren't new.

you can see the strips on the road (3 of them), as said above, the cameras look like a slimmer version of a GATSO.

I emailled a guy who runs a site on cameras when they first cropped up, he hadn't heard of them, but did some digging and sent me the info about them.

The one in Thame (oxon) has been there for getting on to 3 years, and the one on the Cowley Road in Oxford for almost as long.

GPS systems still protect you against them

btw, I don't think they are Piezo Electric strips, I was under the impression they are induction coils (from the initial info me and this guy managed to drag up)

edit: just read the Daily Mirror at lunch time and they have an article on some new 'Daddy of all speed camera' units that are gonna be put in service. The main difference in the 'MCS' isn't the peizo/induction strips, but the fact it has 3 still cameras and one video camera, it can therefore cover 3 lanes (a motorway) on its own. They aren't out in this country yet, but are made by the same company as the GATSO in holland. They have a picture of one in the paper, and they look HUGE. article

Robbing ba*!$"ds, cant they leave us alone and go catch some real crims!!! :lol:

['H3R4POR]edit: just read the Daily Mirror at lunch time and they have an article on some new 'Daddy of all speed camera' units that are gonna be put in service. The main difference in the 'MCS' isn't the peizo/induction strips' date=' but the fact it has 3 still cameras and one video camera, it can therefore cover 3 lanes (a motorway) on its own. They aren't out in this country yet, but are made by the same company as the GATSO in holland. They have a picture of one in the paper, and they look HUGE. article

Yup, more (less sensational) info and a picture is on Pistonheads

At least with the old Gatsos only about 1 in 10 actually had film in them and you could usually tell on approach which ones were "live" because the two holes in the back of the unit would be open. As the Monitrons and the new Gatso MCS hold the pictures on hard disk and can be sent via broadband, the number of speeding convictions will go up dramatically and the cameras will pay for themselves in no time!! In the process it's the poor motorist who will pay the price.

it's the poor motorist who will pay the price.

"It's the poor [speeding] motorist who will pay the price."

While I see no justification for cameras or even speed limits on our motorways and dual carriageways when they are not busy, I can see justifications for reasonable limits and cameras on suburban roads.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my rear number plate to become illegible due to moisture ingress.. :)

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my rear number plate to become illegible due to moisture ingress.. :)

Mine's just about illegible at the mo, but I am waiting for a new one in the post, so thats fudged it :(