Sign in to follow this  
emax

Coolant Level drops, then stays below min?

Hi there,

I've had a strange problem with my car for quite a while now and am wondering if it's anything to worry about.

Normally, when I check my coolant level on the car, it's sitting 1-2cm below the Min marker on the expansion tank.

If I top it up to the MAX marker and then drive it for a couple of weeks, it always ends up back below the MIN marker again.

If I've been lazy and not checked it for ages, it never seems to drop any further than 1-2cm below after quickly dropping down to that level.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thanks!

possibly the expansion tank cap? if you replace it,the blue ones are better i think.

neil. :)

mmm thats funny- mine does just the same :? although mine tends to hang around the min-mark.

New cap & header tank didn't change owt- but Rileys right- they are known for leaking very slightly & affecting the coolant level

Yeah, that's a pretty normal level for my coolant to sit at too. The car hardly uses any water but if I leave it for several months I can get a litre or so in. Regardless of how much is needed to bring it back to the maximum mark, it never drops below a certain point in the header bottle. I'm not exactly sure why but it was the same on my previous two Mk2 GTIs as well.

Mine does exactly the same, top it up and then after fews weeks settles out at just below the minimum level. Its been like it since I bought the car three years ago, it never goes any lower so I don't worry about it.

Bump!

For the record I love the search function of this forum. My question answered. Seems like nothing to worry about then. (touch wood)

:)

Mine does the same too, sits a cm below the minimum, no matter how many times I fill it to the minimum mark. Just enough to trigger the coolant light! My old Mk2 did it too. Just keep an eye on it.

I only just noticed it yesterday when I was cleaning the car. Level is at about half a cm below minimum. Temperature has been fine even when driven hard; no warning light and no visible leak. I’ll keep an eye on it though but hopefully as this thread has mentioned that it’s nothing to worry about. :salute:

Just to clarify the Owner's Manual.....'Coolant level must be between the MIN and MAX marks when the engine is COLD and not running. It can be slightly above the MAX mark when warm'