Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

You'll have plenty of choice! Loads of those types of cars within your budget these days- amazing what you can get for the money. Shame that all the big Lexus' seem to be autos, or they'd be a good shout. Plenty of A6s, X-types etc around too 8)

Indeed... looking forward to seeing what 2k will get me!

there is a 51 plate black 530i sport for sale in a garage in faxeley in tamworth for £1995.

Ooh... fingers crossed its still around in a week or so. Local would be a big plus!

Just be aware of this before parting with any cash:-

Taken from the Parkers website (Please note: All cars registered between March 2001 and March 2006 that produce more than 225g/km CO2, will temporarily join Band K in 2009 and 2010.)

The 530i with a CO2 of 229g/km is £260 a year to tax at the mo......but if they go into there correct tax bracket then your looking at Band 'L' which is £445 a year !!!!

Christ... that's a lot. My intention was to, if possible, find something pre 2001 so I could avoid the higher tax charges and just pay based on engine capacity!

Could be tempted by an A6.. certainly thinking that size / class of vehicle :) But I do fancy trying a BMW. Always had an itch for an E39 5 series which I'd very much like to scratch!

Could be tempted by an A6.. certainly thinking that size / class of vehicle :) But I do fancy trying a BMW. Always had an itch for an E39 5 series which I'd very much like to scratch!

Just hope nothing needs replacing on either the BMW or the Audi, if you think Corrado parts are a rip off wait until you get an Audi bill..

I reckon you should go for a BM over an Audi Jim, solid as they are the audi's don't match up to the BM's as a driver's car.

The A6 of that era seems much like any of the earlier 2wd audi's, heavy, front wheel drive and very little steering feedback, don't get me wrong, the A6 rides well and corners well, the double front wishbone setup must help a fair bit, but you don't have any steering feel to speak of, not the most inspiring engines either, I'm assuming you won't be looking at RS6's!

I am to treat whatever I buy as pretty much disposable. Small jobs I will do, but anything else then it will just get scrapped!

Did give some thought to one of those as another thing I was thinking about was AWD/4WD for when the snow comes.. had pretty much decided in my mind I didn't like them but I have to say that's really rather nice. The only doubt was interiors on Subaru's from that era were pretty dreadful.. at least a 5 series would be a nice place to spend time!

Food for thought though - that does look very nice indeed :)

You'd like my mate's E39 540i Jim. Tonnes of torque :D

If you get an early E39, make sure you vet it thoroughly and browsing the www.bmw5.co.uk forum will stand you in good stead.

The 5 series is something else. A huge step up from the 3 series in every way.

It's an old cliche to read that a predecessor is built better than it's successor, but in the case of the E34 versus the E39 you will often hear BMW people say the E34 is better made and more reliable. Like Mercedes, BMW's quality slipped a bit towards the end of 90s but the E39's quality issues were ironed out in the later models. I prefer the look of the E39 but the E34 is an old school treat and feels like granite!

E34 pick of the crop is defo the run-out 1996 model. 530i and 540i are both quick, dead smooth, quiet, reliable and fun!

BMW ownership is no where near as expensive as people make out, the only exception being the M models. General servicing parts are comparable to the Corrado's, some are cheaper and unlike VW, BMW keep good stocks of parts for all their old models.

All parts are online at http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ so it's dead simple to ring through a part number.

There's even official BMW workshop - http://www.bmwtis.com/repair/main/741en/ - and Bentley manuals online FOC :D

Do it mate!

You're on late Kev? ;)

I WILL own a BMW one day. Just a brand I haven't got around to yet. But i'll never spend more than £6k on a car again. I quite like Bangernomics :)

Did give some thought to one of those as another thing I was thinking about was AWD/4WD for when the snow comes.. had pretty much decided in my mind I didn't like them but I have to say that's really rather nice. The only doubt was interiors on Subaru's from that era were pretty dreadful.. at least a 5 series would be a nice place to spend time!

Food for thought though - that does look very nice indeed :)

Yes Yes and Yes ......... the interior was admitidely pretty dower.

A 5 series interior would defo be a nicer place to spend time. I was just very surprised at how quick it felt and if you're looking to chuck something about as a daily with little care maybe a cheaper interior is easier to live with.

Anyway like you say food for thought.

here ya go mate http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201113383123494/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/3000/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/model/5_series/make/bmw/keywords/sport/postcode/b756hs/radius/1501/page/1?logcode=p bargain if you ask me, and in year i owned my 540i sport (will still have one tomorrow if i found one that had LPG fitted) all that went was the alternator, apart from that it was trouble free for 15000 miles.

Sorry mate but the 'halo' around the Corrado has gone for me. I still like them very much and plan to keep the VR forever but in terms of cars I want to use every day, the Corrado is just getting too dated and tiresome for that job. Something more modern and comfy appeals!

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

And cheers for that boat load of good info Kev!

Stuck on a mobile atm but will check that link out....

Sorry mate but the 'halo' around the Corrado has gone for me. I still like them very much and plan to keep the VR forever but in terms of cars I want to use every day, the Corrado is just getting too dated and tiresome for that job. Something more modern and comfy appeals!

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

And cheers for that boat load of good info Kev!

Stuck on a mobile atm but will check that link out....

I think the 'rado does feel modern compared to cars of the same era but they really don't feel special when you are using one as a daily.

Been considering moving the nugget on recently (although I have not used it) and replacing it with something I don't give a monkeys about just so I do appreciate the 'rado properly. Only snag being what to replace it with and the complete lack of value in Corrados right now.

You're on late Kev? ;)

I WILL own a BMW one day. Just a brand I haven't got around to yet. But i'll never spend more than £6k on a car again. I quite like Bangernomics :)

Yeah, STILL ripping my DVDs into iTunes mate. 610 movies done and ~ 400 TV Programmes. Nearly there! :D

Bimmers have a certain character you'll love mate and you don't need to spend more than £6K to get a good one these days. £6K puts you in a Z4 (cracking car), an early E39 M5 (400hp), a mint E34 M5 (360hp) or any number of 540i cruise tastic machines.... or even an E36 M3, but they're the worst made BMWs ever.

Think the good quality 2nd hand PAS pump I fitted is already on the fritz :( Started the car up today and it's making a new chirruping noise. Even after a 40 mile drive, still chirruping. The aux belt is a brand new Continental one so I don't think it's that being worn or anything.

Checked and it's not from the top of the engine bay and sticking my head down near the PAS pump, seems to be coming from there. Slightly annoying to say the least. Looks like I best think about getting a brand new one :(