Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

It really is in total juxtaposition to the VR then - everything it isn't really! I think if you're going to have a daily its nice to have it as different as possible to the 'fun' car, which you've definitely got in the 500.

It'll also be reliable, the FIRE engine is bulletproof and the 500 has a pretty good reliability rating with only tiny little niggles. My Mum's just bought an Alfa Mito with the Blue & Me system, and the ex's 500 had it too - good system once you've got it set up!

Enjoy it, and get a picture up! :D

Yeah - I really couldn't find many complaints about reliability at all. Read a few forums, and read opinions from folks who were early purchasers and have done 50k+ already with no real problems to report so not concerned there at all. As you say, totally different to the VR.. makes it feel all the more special whenever I drive that now :)

I expected something on that sort of level. Thanks for your valuable insight.

sorry mate only kidding, do actually like the look of them

give me a hug and be friends again lol

A wise choice sir, I am currently looking for a small, cheap-to-insure motor for miss banaan. Unfortunately, being a woman, her only requirement is "Yellow". Saw a yellow 500 and wasn't impressed! Nevertheless, I'll still bear one in mind. Let us know how you get on with it!

Nick

give me a hug and be friends again lol

Hahah... I'll think about it!

No I do fully accept they really are not the most masculine of cars and I did expect to take some **** taking! :) But really couldn't give a toss.. I think it's an awesome little motor!

Nothing wrong with the 500......Smart car yes but not the 500! The retro styling looks good and the Abarth models are very cool! As for the Ferrari version......£40 odd k second hand, now that's madness!!!!!

Newer car as a daily is wise purchase. Good to get into something and not worry about it breaking down. I'll be honest though Im really not a fan of the 500 styling. In fact pretty much every supermini styling come to think of it.

The 500 is the only supermini I like.. I hate the rest of them! If the 500 wasn't around, I don't think I'd have ended up buying into this class of car..

If you've bought the exceptionally camp Magnolia coloured one (with white interior, of course), I will honestly be in despair mate.

The Fiat 500 has to be in the Top 5 cars not to turn up to a first date in.

Newer car as a daily is wise purchase. Good to get into something and not worry about it breaking down. I'll be honest though Im really not a fan of the 500 styling. In fact pretty much every supermini styling come to think of it.

The interior styling is a little "lip-stick" for my tastes but otherwise I think they look quite smart. And they live up to the original concept of a small affordable car very well in my opinion.

Jim - Some of the other super mini's are ok are they not? The Alpha Mito for instance I think looks rather classy (apart from the "nose" on the bonnet perhaps) and the toyota Aygo is fab to drive so long as you don't wont to get some one in the back.. unless you know any paraplegics! :lol:

However I think the 500 is the best of the bunch, I drove my friends 1.2 and it was delightful round town. Light and well balanced. Top choice for a daily run around IMO

If you've bought the exceptionally camp Magnolia coloured one (with white interior, of course), I will honestly be in despair mate.

The Fiat 500 has to be in the Top 5 cars not to turn up to a first date in.

It's white with black interior. And if I go on a date with someone and they have some kind of problem with the car I drive, then frankly they're not for me! I'd be looking for someone quite significantly less shallow.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Jim - Some of the other super mini's are ok are they not? The Alpha Mito for instance I think looks rather classy (apart from the "nose" on the bonnet perhaps) and the toyota Aygo is fab to drive so long as you don't wont to get some one in the back.. unless you know any paraplegics! :lol:

Yeah - I do like the MiTo a lot but I think it's a bit too big to be considered a super mini - it's based on the Fiat Punto platform and actually pretty large. Aygo I do like. IQ is dreadful though..

Well done matey, makes a lot of sense! Besides, you still have your huge sideburns if any manly talk is banded about again and the VR for the occassional hoon!

I've gone from a 90 Corrado project to an 89 mk2 golf daily..... i think i'm doing it wrong :/

Deffo looking into a small cc or diesel as a car for the missus though. PM me with price if you don't want to mention it here.

It's white with black interior. And if I go on a date with someone and they have some kind of problem with the car I drive, then frankly they're not for me! I'd be looking for someone quite significantly less shallow

LOL, all very true mate :D

I think a black abarth with black wheels is about as masculine as a 500 can get, but the car's basic shape and size is way too feminine for my tastes, but each to our own. If fancied a small FIAT for urban duties I'd probably choose the Panda 100hp or the Punto with the 1.4 twin-air.

I did initially want something with more poke and did consider the Panda 100HP (and then started looking at the Renault Twingo 133.. then the Clio 197...) but was immediately thinking it'd be a mistake purely because it was defeating the point of the exercise.. insurance would go up, tax would go up, fuel economy would go down.. I wasn't trying to get something with performance, I just wanted cheap as chips motoring but still something quite new and with at least an ounce of character. Any of those would have taken away from VR6 expenditure.

Maybe once the VR is all tarted up in a few years, I'll swap to something a bit more fun again. Always hankered after a Clio 197.. or would rather like a 500 Arbarth Essesse ;)

Ahh the little Twingo gets good reviews! With any of the little hatches like that, the vehicle mass is so low it's impossible not to get good economy on light throttle, although 50mpg from your 1.2 is obviously not somehing a tuned 1600 twingo would get close to :D Probably high 30s, early 40s.

How far do you need to commute each day? Personally I'd get a Segway :D Or a scooter, or pushbike and just have the one car, Mr VR!

It's white with black interior. And if I go on a date with someone and they have some kind of problem with the car I drive, then frankly they're not for me! I'd be looking for someone quite significantly less shallow

You'd still drive the Vr6 though yeah! :lol:

How far do you need to commute each day? Personally I'd get a Segway :D Or a scooter, or pushbike and just have the one car, Mr VR!

It's about 3 miles each way. I used to cycle to work on and off but just have no willpower and prefer to just hop in the car each day - lazy I know but.. hey ho. Walked it the other day and it took about 45 minutes each way so a bit far for that every day!

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

You'd still drive the Vr6 though yeah! :lol:

Mais oui ;)

Good purchase Jim ..... I had a go in one a few years back and it was great fun around town.

I've got a Vespa 50cc for my daily 3 mile commute - now thats cheap ....... seriously if you want to save even more money you should consider one in the future as you will never get over how cheap they are to run - I changed the whole engine for £250 :lol:

Anyway get some pictures up of the little Cinq.

3 miles!!! Bloody ell, I'd be biking that and spending the money on the VR instead :D

Im with Kev here... your a lazy boy Jim! grab your push bike! I used to cycle 5 miles to uni every day, you get used to it

Boy we sure do like to jump to conclusions, eh Alex? :) ;)

I like cycling recreationally and will happily do 20-30 mile bike rides on a nice day. I did spent a little time cycle commuting last year (5 miles each way) but it just got boring quickly. I just can't be bothered when there is a car just sitting there. The traffic doesn't queue up so cycling in doesn't save me any time but it's REALLY busy and frankly I just got a bit fed up of being nearly knocked off or sideswiped by careless idiots every morning.. there are no cycle lanes around here either.

I might come back to it again next summer or I might go through a spell of cycling in the winter.. but I'd rather just go to the gym after work instead for the fitness side of things rather than facing the roads!

Edited by Jim

I must admit, cycling quickly loses it's appeal in the Winter months. Cold, dark and wet!

Scooters (that can do more than 30mph) are appealing though and even more crazy mpg and cheapness to run!