Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

They're supposed to give a 40mm drop - should hopefully be a little lower than I current have which should be spot on for me. As a kit, they've not been out a very long time (certainly not for the Corrado - my box has an assembly date of late October 2007) so not very well known yet. I hope they're good - I don't want to have to be changing springs, etc to get the ideal ride setup a few months down the line!

Well fingers crossed for you fella! I'm sure if vince is running them on another car they will be spot on with the C too! I admire you for sticking it out with this one tbh... I certainly wish I had your patience with our Golf 8)

vince is running them on another car

He runs them on his own personal motor - Passat estate 1.8T - I guess if he's happy with them on his daily driver, they have to be ok!

This car hasn't been too bad. To be honest, a lot of the stuff i've done, I didn't always need to get done or I could have cut corners on but i've used it as a chance to get a bit more hands on, mostly with the expert guidance of Tempest and 2cc - they're going to be doing the suspension with me in a few weekends time! :)

Its frustrating that i've never dared go near the bodywork - sort of this feeling that if I neglect any of the mechanical stuff for 2 minutes, and pump some money into un-important stuff, it'll screw me. But there are a bad patches on the car that really need some tlc (a little rust spot on the rear panel under the boot, the mismatched rear passenger side quarter, the rotten and faded bonnet, etc etc). If I do stick it out with the car over the coming years (it'd be nice to take it to 200,000 miles... only 18,000 to go!) it'd be nice to get it looking better than it ever has for that sort of milestone.

Yes mate! Are you after some info?

I was considering them but I think I'm going to go for KW variant 1's. I want the high adjustment.

Are you happy with the Koni's?

To be honest I doubt they'll be able to compete with KW's seeing as this is the very definition of an entry level kit!

They seem good so far, yeah. Strangely I find some surfaces more jarring than before, and some surfaces much softer than before - overall i'd say they're firmer than my old FK coilies were. Quality of the kit seems good - assembly of the shock and fitting to the car went without a single "What the hell is going on here..?!" moment so that was good.

One small frustration is that, because I have VR6 top mounts, they raise the front of the car slightly so the front sits a little taller than the rear... so bear that in mind if you do get this kit and fit new VR top mounts! You'll want to pick up some 10mm lowering caps rather than using standard VW ones. If I had height adjustables this wouldn't be a problem!

Not sure what else to say really!

Well its that time again - the dreaded MOT. Booked in for tomorrow afternoon.

I did a mini service on the car the other day - new spark plugs, oil + filter changed, air filter recharged, etc.. I think I might have a slight vac leak now though (obviously didn't push something back together again when I was rummaging around by the airbox) as pickup from low revs and idle seems distinctly lumpier than it was before - though it seems to pull well at higher revs and speeds than it did before. Going to have a poke around the engine bay and recheck all the air pipework to make sure i've not missed something obvious as i'm just concerned about any air leaks f*cking up the emissions test which i'm already massively worried about. That and my rather scrubbed front tyres (thanks to the tracking being out for so long prior to me changing my suspension back in February).

Guess i'll just have to see how it goes. Secretly hoping the tyres DO cause the car to fail the MOT because then i'll be forced to buy new ones - and after reading a lot of threads about tyres, etc and comments from cheesewire it seems quite likely that the tyres being bald / scrubbed around the outside are contributing significantly to my torque steer / tramlining problems.

Otherwise i'm fairly confident about the old girl. Shocks are only a few months old, no warning lights / gremlins on the dash, Goodridge brake hoses all round, a few new copper brake lines where the others were rotten, and MK4 rear calipers should see the common Corrado niggles catered for!

Fingers crossed.

Yep, all the best, mate. Always a little worrying, but as you've done lots recently, it should be OK :)

They're the ones listed on the GSF site for the 2.0 16v - Bosch F6LTCR. Quadruple electrode.

Twatter :(

OSF front steering rack gaiter split

Exhaust clamp and exhaust hanger both shot, causing major exhaust leak.

Advisories on ALL brake disks, rear wheel bearings, tracking (I've had this f*cking car tracked more times than I can REMEMBER) and front tyres.

That sucks, mate :( Keep your chin up. Pretty simple to fix up and get through the MOT. Then you can tackle the advisories later.

I'll have a pair of pretty new (8mm tread) 16" Toyo Proxes that were on the VR up for grabs soon. Let me know if you're interested.

Ooh - might be interested mate. What size are they? I've got 205/45/16's on mine atm..

I thought you wanted it to fail? :scratch:

All of those bar the tracking are well easy to do (imo).

Come over to oxford and I'll happily do them if you supply the parts :salute: (after my last exam on thurs!)

That sucks, mate :( Keep your chin up. Pretty simple to fix up and get through the MOT. Then you can tackle the advisories later.

I'll have a pair of pretty new (8mm tread) 16" Toyo Proxes that were on the VR up for grabs soon. Let me know if you're interested.

I could be interested in those if Jim doesn't want them.

How the hell can they say there are tracking issues unless you have major tyre wear?

Top tip for MOT's get them done at the local council testing centre, they have to be open for public MOT's but they are not allowed to carry out repair work, so they have nothing to gain from failing your car.

Come over to oxford and I'll happily do them if you supply the parts

Appreciate the offer mate but i've booked back into the garage for the work as it saves me having to pay for a retest elsewhere - £44 chuffin quid for an MOT these days!!

They only reckon an hours labour. I know they're only minor things and all that but it's just annoying!

How the hell can they say there are tracking issues unless you have major tyre wear?

The front tyres ARE shagged - outsides are all scrubbed cause I had dead suspension and tracking was always out! New shocks are on now so tracking shouldn't be out any more!

Jim, they are indeed 205 45 16s :) I could bring them along to National Day if you want them.

I could bring them along to National Day if you want them.

How much would you be after for them mate? National Day would probably be ok, yeah.. :)

Send me a PM or sommat. I'm shortly about to scoot off on a small holiday so won't be around to read this thread!

Arrrgggggh.

So after the MOT failure on Tuesday I parked the car in the garage having booked it in for corrective work and an MOT re-test this morning. So I fire it up (starts fine) but the dreaded ABS light stays on :( Ordinarily this wouldn't matter as i'd just get it looked at but it's supposed to be in for a freaking MOT re-test. Of all the f*cking days.

I think the car was just being spiteful at being left at home for 5 days whilst I went to a car meet in Holland!!