Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

Looking good Jim, have you protected the sandblasting with WD40 yet? Stops it staining so easy and prevents oxidisation!

Tried to give it a blast yeah but a bit hard to get underneath all the manifold and stuff - a really awkward design for getting into the nooks and crannies!

Where did you get the rad cover and stickers? Just about the only thing missing from my new C :(

Rad cover was brand new from VAG and the stickers bruny was selling on the forum! Very reasonably priced too. He got replicas made up at a local printers... drop him a PM - not sure if he still has any!

Wow that looks fantastic, especially considering the mileage! :salute:

Rad cover was brand new from VAG and the stickers bruny was selling on the forum! Very reasonably priced too. He got replicas made up at a local printers... drop him a PM - not sure if he still has any!

Cheers, Jim. How much was the cover?

I'll have a dig through my receipts folder later mate and get back to you... I don't think it was any more than £20. Expensive for a bit of plastic but mine was totally knackered and warped!

Off for my MOT in an hour... gulp....

Cheers Jim- doesn't sound too bad.

All the best with the MOT- always a touch worrying with a Rado! I'm sure it'll be OK :)

Failed.

Off side steering rack gaiter was split. I wouldn't mind but it was the same one that was replaced LAST YEAR at the MOT by a different garage. Had to just book it in for Tuesday to get sorted.

£60 for the work & retest is OK but it's f*cking annoying. The tester is an absolutely top bloke - loads of guys in the garage were really complimentary about the Corrado, etc... was refreshing! :)

:( That is very annoying, at least it's an easy fix and there's nothing else to worry about :)

Failed.

Off side steering rack gaiter was split. I wouldn't mind but it was the same one that was replaced LAST YEAR at the MOT by a different garage. Had to just book it in for Tuesday to get sorted.

Take it back to the other place mate - it was only a year ago wasn't it!

They probably used a pattern part which split or didn't use the proper clips and it twisted - make sure you get genuine bits this time as there is a huge difference in quality!

Agree- should defo not have split again in that time. Go get 'em! :lol:

Nothing is ever free - my free daily car has just failed the MOT despite some fettling at DG last weekend :(

Brake pads are worn and need replacing (even though G checked em over and was happy that there were a few thousand miles left on them) and the coils on the suspension at front are, apparently, fractured. Also said the parking brake isn't functioning properly or some nonsense - though I can park the mofo on the steepest hill and stick the handbrake on and it won't go anywhere, so not exactly sure what they're on about there! They wanted nearly £500 to sort that lot!

Priced up new coils and pads and they come to under £100 at GSF - £350 to change pads and springs seems a bit excessive on the labour IMHO so booked the beast in at short notice for another trip to DG - let Graham work his magic on it and hopefully save myself a few quid :)

That's annoying, Jim. It's amazing how different each MOT place seems to be in terms of what they'll pass, even though the authorities are pretty strict with it all :? Thankfully the parts weren't toooo pricey.

Nope? Never had to MOT this wagon yet! To be honest, at £500 I was ready to send her off to the scrap yard, and re-instate the 16v as a daily!

As much as I rail against GSF, just phoned and they've got the coils and the pads in stock for the car - so once I confirm what the fail list is from the garage, looks like i'll be swinging in there to pick up the parts ready for the trip to DG on Friday!

Moral of the story - MOT your car as soon as you can. I've got like 3 days before the MOT expires, and then I'm out of the country all of next week with work!! Epic fricking timing! :(

Nothing is ever free - my free daily car has just failed the MOT despite some fettling at DG last weekend :(

Brake pads are worn and need replacing (even though G checked em over and was happy that there were a few thousand miles left on them) and the coils on the suspension at front are, apparently, fractured. Also said the parking brake isn't functioning properly or some nonsense - though I can park the mofo on the steepest hill and stick the handbrake on and it won't go anywhere, so not exactly sure what they're on about there! They wanted nearly £500 to sort that lot!

Priced up new coils and pads and they come to under £100 at GSF - £350 to change pads and springs seems a bit excessive on the labour IMHO so booked the beast in at short notice for another trip to DG - let Graham work his magic on it and hopefully save myself a few quid :)

I haven't been a fan of Crescent ever since the original owners left. Although its very tempting as its in a great location for us! Your right about the MOT inspector tho, hes a nice chap!

Been in to pick up the keys and check out the failure list.. just the things I mentioned and the handbrake has got excessive travel - should just need adjusting at the shoe end (on the rear brakes).

They're really nice in there, no doubt about it and as you say mate, they're ridiculously local so handy to use. But having checked the prices at GSF for the parts and wanting to give any possible garage business I can towards the chaps at DG, I'll be off to see them on Friday and then back (hopefully) to Crescent for a reduced price retest on Friday afternoon...!

Nightmere Jim..

I always say ill get it done with a few weeks to spare, when you have time to sort any fails it get cheaper. In reality though it never happens like that...

Phew all done. Took a short-notice day off work - helps that my boss is a fellow car enthusiast! :)

Had been to GSF earlier yesterday and astonishingly they had the pads and springs in stock / on the shelves. Up at 6:15am so I could charge over to DG Autotech who'd managed to fit me in at short notice to get the work done. Graham dutifully spent the the morning working on the old tank whilst I drank coffee, loitered around, and made a fuss of his awesome dog Jack.. what a character! :)

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfjack.jpg[/attachment:2w5voaed]

Springs changed - and yep, they were literally cracked and came off in more than one piece! The pads however were fine and had plenty of meat left on them.. but got Graham to swap them anyway seeing as I'd bought them, and save having an fight with the MOT center!

merc.jpg[/attachment:2w5voaed]

By early afternoon the car was all done. Blasted it back home and dropped it off at the garage and a few hours later was given the all clear... so the free (well, not quite free any more!!) Mercedes is given another stay of execution and will hopefully soldier on for at least another year! :)

Thanks again to Graham and Dave! Much appreciated! :)

good to get that sorted i bet, defo stick with your merc - decided to give my old boat a few more years too

liking the tail blur on the dog :D

good to see that your daily has a new lease of life :) Mine is due it's MOT in a couple of weeks too, ought to book it in I suppose!

Glad your trip to DG was a success mate, looking forward to catching up at the RR day.

Nothing especially exciting to add...

Powerflow backbox decided to just fall off on the car the other night after I took it out for a drive. It's currently only hanging on by the two rubber hangers - think I best remove it entirely before I set off in case it detatches fully whilst I'm trundling down the M40!! Seems like the ideal time to get my Magnex backbox on... so I've booked in to go visit DG on Saturday morning to get that fitted and to have an hour or so poking around to find what it is that is buzzing / vibrating on the exhaust at certain revs.

Oh - and I finally got a chrome type Corrado logo for the car :) Was a slightly eye watering £22 from eBay but looks to be in good condition... not sure whether to do a Supercharged and put it away for a rainy day, or just fit it ;)