Sign in to follow this  
DUBVR6

OIL temp High ???

Hi Guys,

I've just changed the oil on the VR6 and used silver syntha from the dealers. Before i did the oil change the temp reading was showing in the region of 100 - 105 driving local. But now after the oil change its showing 116 and when its stationary goes down to 110.

Checking the last service the dealers used mobil.

Can this be due to the difference of oil.

Please advise.

Cheeeeeeeeeerzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

could be the oil, have you checked its level?

but at the moment remember that it is very hot in the uk....can make a diff.

I saw 114 thje other day in traffic.

final question does the fan work on all 3 speeds?

could be the ambient temp thats soooo high atm (:)).

110 isn't high though, I've had higher than that in the past.

saying that, mine was ticking over on Jays drive on saturday (HOT day) for 2 hours, and the temp didn't get higher than 102, with both fans kicking in

the fans work fine and the level of oil is correct, there's no leaking as ive checked underneath the car!!! :roll:

Maybe it's just the higher ambient temperature at the moment, it's nice and scorching at the moment :)

If you're just ticking over I'd be very very surprised if the oil temp ever climbed over 100 ish.

If you're talking about driving along then yes, 114-120 is not unusual on an unmodified car.

Does your water temp remain at the middle of the gauge (90)? Could be a faulty thermostat. 110 for the oil temp seems high for being stationary but it's still within limits. Syntha silver is what most use on here. I use it and only see 100 for my oil temp if I am really pushing it on the motorway on a hot day.

Maybe it's just the higher ambient temperature at the moment, it's nice and scorching at the moment :)

AGREED - I saw 120 for the first time in 12 months just the otehr day sat in traffic; but it came down to 100 once moving quickly. I was close to pulling over, but instead whacked the heater on full blast and had the sunroof open - it dropped to 117 straight away.

AGREED - I saw 120 for the first time in 12 months just the otehr day sat in traffic; but it came down to 100 once moving quickly. I was close to pulling over, but instead whacked the heater on full blast and had the sunroof open - it dropped to 117 straight away.

i'd suggest your MFA is kaput then.............it only goes up in even increments of 2 :wink: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I had 132 yesterday through London traffic in the sun

I use fully synthetic though, will probably change to semi next time

i'd suggest your MFA is kaput then.............it only goes up in even increments of 2 :wink: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thats only on the 'Scotch' Corrado's Rodders as you lot wouldn't pay or the odd numbers :lol:

Thats only on the 'Scotch' Corrado's Rodders as you lot wouldn't pay or the odd numbers :lol:

damn right we wouldn't..........only you "Engleesh" would be stupid enough to pay for odd increments :D :D :D :D :D :D

lol

Cheers for your suggestions, jus wna know how wud i know if the thermostat or oil temp switch is kapuuuut.

Dnt wna buy the parts and find out the original were ok!!

Thermostat stuck closed: temp climbs rapidly to 110 degrees, fans never come on, steam erupts, bad shit, end of known universe.

Thermostat stuck open: temp climbs very slowly, and only ever goes above about 70 degrees if you are stuck in traffic. Quickly drops back below 80 when you get moving in clear air.

Alright lads, jus an update

As my corrado is only a weekend car, ive left it ticking in the drive way for aby 30 - 40 min. The oil temp reached 104 degrees and the water was dead on 100 degrees.

is dat normal for a stationary motor jus ticking in the driveway??????

I'd say so.. on the one hand you're not taxing the engine but on the other it is getting 0 air flow other than what the rad fans are pulling in.

Ideally coolant temp should sit around the middle of the gauge though - 90 centrigrade approx under most circumstances!

I think the corrado is a wierd creature, having owned 3 vrs now a passat est, vento (still) and the C. Both the other 2 acted exactly the same, normal driving 90c on the oil (MFA), ring its neck for an hour and you might go just over 100 but it takes some doing!. Both sat bang on mid water temp gauge, only rising slightly when sat in traffic.

Every corrado ive been in however totally different. faster you go the hotter the oil gets, period. Revs = heat . Mine used to sit 110 at 70 114 at 80 118/120 at 90 but water allways on 90. Sit in traffic, oil drops eventually to 100 and water rises to over 100 bouncing back down with the fans.

I dont think they have sufficient cooling caviat "compared to other VRs". But parhaps its still fine? I fitted the mocal which kept all the same caracteristics, but all the oil readings are now 10+ lower.

thanx for the advise lads

Jus took it to me VW techy and advised : -

1. Due the weather it can get hot

2. Seems find in his eyes and advised changed the oil temp switch and see if there is a difference, due to it being a 10 yr old motor.

So gna pick up a oil temp switch and see if there is a difference.

Il keep u updated :)

just wondered how you got on?

ive just changed the thermo switch in the rad, so now the fan comes on at the lower speed, the water sits in the middle of the tempo gauge.

today giving it a little bit of right foot and i was seeing oil temps of up to 122...

how does this sound to people?

I was giving the old G60 a good run and saw 132 oil. :shock:

I did notice it was a little low on oil and i topped it up and it went back down to 120 ish at 70 ish mph

Seems to be running ok.