Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

ABS Sensor Positioning

Morning All

Cant seem to locate the required information with the search, so apologises if its been posted before.

Just had to fit a replacement ABS sensor to the front drivers side. I was totally shocked by whatever muppet had carried work out previously around the hub, had bent the rotor causing it to make contact and worn the end off the old sensor. (This would explain the sensor fault)

Since fitting the replacement the ABS is cutting in quite a lot when pulling up to junctions, which it didn't do before unless you stamped on the brakes.

As the rotor required a little reshaping, im wondering if the gap between the sensor and rotor is too great now that its triggering the ABS

Does anyone know what the required / recommend gap between a front ABS sensor and the rotor is? Should they almost be touching ?

Cheers

Ross

Hi Ross, I also had this after changing one of the fronts and I solved it by changing the other side too - the new one was a different make to the original and didn't seem to match, been fine ever since... not sure about the gapping tho and this does sound a likely cause to i'd check it first...

Cheers Steve, been trying to live with it over the past days and its getting pretty annoying. I'll take both sides apart to see whats what and compare the gaps, im fairly sure its something to do with that. If all else fails ill be buying another, good to know that solved your issue.

i recently bought a new front ABS sensor from gsf which didnt fit to good,the gap is bigger than it should be,but its been fine

A common reason for bent front ABS rotors is wheel bolts that are too long or people putting the wheel bolt in without the wheel to hold the disc still. We use an old CV nut under the bolt to reduce its length if we need to do this.