Sign in to follow this  
glen

VR6 cutting out

Only done it 5 times in a month but done it twice yesterday...

Every time it seems to be when accelerating on a dumpy road?

Engine cuts out then wont bump start, but starts fine if I turn the ignition off and start by key?

Could it be an ignition problem as ive been having problems with the radio cutting out recently and if I wiggle keys it cuts back in?

Mine cut out a few times before chucking it completely. Turned out to be the starter motor. Though I imagine the "wiggling key" scenario makes something in the ignition suspect.

Not sure how a faulty starter can cause the engine to cut out when it's already running ..?

Anyway, cutting out while accelerating is bad, usually points to ECU relay or ignition switch - worth the look on these items anyway, since they're the cheapest things you might have to replace anyway..

If wobbling the key brings it back to life you probably have a faulty ignition switch. Don't buy a pattern one though; I have had nightmares with them. I tried eight from GSF on a Passat (same part) a few weeks back and gave up and ordered a genuine one for the next day-no dealer stock! The switch has changed number to a Polo number 6N0 905 865 which is £21.

Yep the GSF ones are junk. They don't even work properly! For instance, normally you can leave the ignition fully off, but the key in the barrel and the radio stays on. Take the key out and off goes the stereo. The GSF ones I used did that once in every 10 or 11 times. Really flakey bit of kit.

The VW ones are naturally a million times better but are still prone to burnt contacts on stage 2.....they just take a 100 times longer to get there than the GSF ones!

Not sure how a faulty starter can cause the engine to cut out when it's already running ..?

Anyway, cutting out while accelerating is bad, usually points to ECU relay or ignition switch - worth the look on these items anyway, since they're the cheapest things you might have to replace anyway..

Frankly neither am I but a new motor was fitted and it's going now. Not very well but it's going. :cry: