Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Incredible.. self driving Golf GTI (not a joke!)

Clicky

Pretty amazing. I thought it would have some fairly basic intelligence but it looks like its finally starting to become a reality, this self driving car malarky.

Quote from the article:

The car can then work out the twists and turns it has to negotiate - before setting off at break-neck speed through a laid out course on a test track.

On a race circuit, it drove itself faster and more precisely than the VW engineers could manage - and can accelerate independently up to its top speed of 150mph.

To prove it is no trick, guests were invited to design for themselves a variety of different courses - using road cones - and then watch the car fly around them on its own at a test track near their world headquarters in Wolfsburg in northern Germany.

:shock: that's pretty nuts that is.

Still, I'd rather drive the car myself than have a robot do it :)

Although it could be really handy for tired drivers.

Well i'd like to have the choice so that if I felt up for a blast I could.. but say, for example, having to do a 4 hour motorway drive, i'd prefer to sit back and watch a DVD and let the car do the boring bit! :)

Yea, that's actually a pretty good idea, expecially for long trips, and I just had a thought of what perverts would do (Just think mile-high club :lol:)

Technology these days is getting pretty crazy, but how safe would it be though?

No matter how safe some people could say it is, I'd be wary of some"thing" else running the car.

yeah, and it'll get to the stage where some nice man who has some point to make will wait until there's hundreds of these cars running on every motorway and simply set off a LARGE (or worse, lots of smaller more localised) electro-magnetic pulse generator to cause the worlds biggest multi-motorway pile-up... :|

/paranoia

I put on teletext at the weekend to read "Hasselhoff in Chandelier Accident!

There's a headline I never thought I'd hear!