Sign in to follow this  
marcus

lowering vr6?

Been browsing at suspensions and most places sell lowering springs or the fixed drop for 40mm, But the 60mm drop is much less common for the VR (plenty for the G60).

Any reason for this d'ya think?

If any VR owners are running a 60mm drop, how do you find the ride?

I have read the sticky suspension thread.

Unfortunately it seems to me that the various 40mm lowering kits for vr's all actually lower the car different amounts.

Imo, most of the kits don't look low enough, although I did see one that looked a pretty good height - i think it was something cheap like apex though.

Get some coilovers or get some springs and chop them off a bit (yeehaa) :)

BTW mine is dropped around 60mm or so and i quite like the ride, but thats just me. I like the massively reduced suspension travel personally as i prefer it being a bit hard/harsh to it lurching up and down like a mo fo.

You do get some fairly nasty bump-steer when it's really low/no suspension travel though! Horses for courses mate :)

Is it a late VR - if so then a 40mm kit will drop it 60 if you see what i mean...
- Really?? hows that then? i'm going for 40mm drop next month, either Weitec or G-max as i have to consider breaks and wheels asap too.

Use the Weitec 001GT kit with Golf 4 GTI sports suspension front bump stops (1J0 412 303C off the top off my head, so don’t quote me) and shortened original rears. If your car is a 94 or 95, you will need early top plates at the front. This is quoted as being a 40-mm kit but it's more like 50-mm. The only set up I know that is better for normal day to day use is Eibach springs with the 40-mm shortened Weitec dampers.

Hmmm.....

Weitec ride quality eh?

I'd love to try some 1k coilies to compare to the weitecs. I like em but they are rather hard.

So would I mate, so would I...... but I'm finding every single suspension manufacturer I investigate claim to be the best! It's feckin hard getting it spot on.

Koni's FSD is about as close as we're going to get for perfection (damper wise) but they don't do them for the older dubs :-(

So the Weingums are a bit Maynard then??

I think bespoke 3 way adjustable kits are the way forward..... I wonder if Leda would entertain a GB?! LOL!

Bit Maynard yeah! :)

I think the problem is that by the time you've lowered it a decent amount the springs are just compressed to buggary at all times and don't have too much left in them. Mine is a bit low though i guess.

I've been driving my blue one round with standard suspension :) Jesus! Smooth but a tad wafty shall we say :)

Are they coilies? I suspect it's probably the lack of travel that's the problem.

If you imagine the vertical travel of the wheel follows an arc, ideally you need to be a 3rd of the way up the arc (i.e. standard VR 4x4 ride height), but when you slam, you're two thirds up the arc, leaving you sweet FA to A) hold the car up round uber tight bends and B) absorb bumps.

Double wishbones would be a nifty upgrade for the Corrado.....but damned expensive and hard work.

Yeah the standard ride quality is still crashey over bumps imo, but just not as crashey and yeah, marshmallow wallowy blancmange central over B roads :-)

Yeah they're coilies - dropped a fair amount though.

And yeah its the lack of travel - can be interesting mid-bend when you hit some nice bumps at 80!!! :)

It does make me laugh seeing it when walking back to it when its parked with two wheels on a pavement - it just follows the angle that a plank of wood in the same position would!!!

Tiny bit stiff then ;)

I really haven't found the ride too hard at all, I'm very happy.

It's far nicer round corners, and just feels like you are more secure.

I do need to get the wheels alligned (next Friday at AmD) so that can only make the cornering etc better :)

we have loads of pot holes round here, and they aren't bothering me at all.

Kev, all set up to the heights you PMed me :)

Ah nice one, you're about half way up the arc then dude, so about as low as you want to go tbh....but it's all personal preference at the end of the day and what the local road surface is like. I'd love to lower mine more but have to drive over rail crossings and roads with horrendous dips and bumps every day.

Have you ever driven over a cattle grid in a lowered C? Feckin ell..... bone shaker, LOL!

nah, just blat the throttle just before you get to a cattle grid/level crossing... you only get 2 jolts then, one as you take off, and one when you land... ;) :lol: :twisted:

Well i decided to go with what i know, brought Weitecs from G-Werks - i'm also sick of every suspension brand claiming to the best in the world ever.

Cheers for the opinions.

SUPERCHARGED - so my M reg car wont be sitting AS low with a 40mm drop as my J-reg did?????????? OH NO - ive already ordered them!!!!

i'm also sick of every suspension brand claiming to the best in the world ever.

SUPERCHARGED - so my M reg car wont be sitting AS low with a 40mm drop as my J-reg did?????????? OH NO - ive already ordered them!!!!

Yeah it's frustrating that. There are only a handful of companies that truly are great and they don't shout about it. Protech are in an interesting brand with some clever ideas and Leda are uber quality, but uber expensive, about £2K for a 3 way adjustable kit. It's not until you spend that kind of money do you really start to appreciate the differences and where the cost goes.

Yeah my 94 VR barely looked lower at all with 35mm H&R springs but earlier ones looked lower with the same kit. The springs will settle with time and drop another 10mm or so.

my rado vr is dropped by about 100mm and the ride and handling is fab. Its on coilovers.

mine scrapes when I leave the drive in the mornings :D

['H3R4POR]mine scrapes when I leave the drive in the mornings :D

yeh mine does scrape but only on harsh dips and as for speed humps.....well, you just have to know how to get over them :lol: