Sign in to follow this  
covincharger

g60 into porsche replica

hi all just aquired tired old g60.hoping to refurb eng and charger before transfering engine into my covin porsche replica which has mk2 gti 8v engine at the moment .i love the sound of the supercharger hence the choice for the conversion.is it common for the g60 to shoot flames out the back! as mine has .picture of my covin and corrado soon.

Hi mate wellcome to the forum, my old G60 did that once, and it was something to do with the fueling being turned up to much. Not entirley sure of the finer details but Im sure one of the G60 boys will be able to help you with more details.

That can happen if the vacuum pipes to the throttle body (ECU and carbon canister) are the wrong way around.

thats a fair bit more tarmac you see in the back of them Covin's than the real deal :wink: ............so they FWD or RWD then??

its built on covin chassis using vw type 3 front beam and suspension with type 3 gearbox.although its only got 112hp its pretty quick weighing only 800kg.power to weight ratio is 144 bhp/ton which is the same as the standard corrado g60.with corrado engine in and 160 hp it should be about 200 bhp/ ton.a close ratio gearbox will be fitted to cope with power as type 3 gearboxes although only had 50hp max through them they were that well built(vw quality)they can take up to 150hp ,although the box gets a bit whiney after 80mph .the 8valver sounds the buisness probably due to there only being 2foot off pipe from btm of manifold to back box,god knows what g60 will sound like,a bit of a monster heres hoping!

lets see some interior pics then,there was a Covin up near me for sale a few years back with a Ford XR3 CVH lump in it,wish i went up to have a look

jonhs just aquired g60 engine for his covin and ripped out janspeed turbo engine(hes not keen on fords).looks like well be on this forum a fair bit with questions galore.its gonna be a busy time.

]Picture410.jpg

interior could do with a spruce up,but engine first cosmetics later.yes all based on 930 turbo.rear tyres are 255/45/17.fiberglass shell is well made and double skinned.quite a rare kit only 300 made.ive driven a real911 supersport and the build quality and solidness is obvious.mine rattles abit but it wont rust is tax excempt and only cost £180 QUID a year ins for 5000 miles.the parts are cheap and with the cost of juice its economical.it also is nearly 500kg lighter so if i get the corrado up to 190bhp ill have same power to weight ratio ,scary!!!

its got basically the dash,clocks all door panels and seats.im after the electric sc seats as they really keep you sitting tight,john has them in his.the steering column is golf and centre console is fabricated so can fit few extra guages.the radiator sits in the front and water pipes run throgh center tunnel of car.

hmmm. I was tempted by a covin once. Trouble is, you can pick up a pukka lhd 911sc for as little as £6k.

How does it handle?

got avo coilovers in the back and it sits and drives squat.the front needs some now and need to reduce tyre size up front 235/45/17 a bit too much but were on car when i got it.most freinds who drive it are impressed.if you want a raw dive this is it,it posseses you,but its not an every day car.yea buy a 6k sc and have the same again to spend on it.id love an original turbo but havent the funds to buy or run one .ive no worries with this car and know i aint got no big bills looming.

Keep us updated on the G60 conversion - these covins seem to be a wallet friendly alternative to a real 911, and lets face it - miles better looking than 90% of kit cars :?

Did they do a non-turbo bodied one?

Nice ride mate, never heard of Covin's till recently. A guy's been trying to sell a flat nose one on ebay for a while - thinks it's a bit of a nail though. I love the 80's 911, but as you said it's the huge bills that'd stump me, oh and the insurance! Cool as funk :afro: