Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Should i change my 2ltr 16v to a G60?

ive got a late style 2ltr 16v, and my mate has a early style G60 he's just brought for pennies, it needs some work doing to body work but mechanicly its sound. If i could sell my Corrado for £2k would it be worth getting this G60 and getting it into shape?

Is the hype of a G60 really worth getting rid of my 2ltr 16v for?

Neil

Tune it up a bit and yep.. definately worth it! 16v feels quick in some ways but a done up G60 definately feels much quicker! :)

Drive it and see for yourself, they are pretty rough and ready in character - thats why I love them

if i have a good shell of my 2ltr 16v is it worth putting the G60 engine into that? I like the later interior and i need to get a new exhaust for my car anyway, so id have to replace it if i was to sell it anyway.

So say i have a later 2ltr 16v with okish body work and my boot install in(which can be changed over to another car)

and

An early G60 with bodywork that needs a little TLC

what would you lot do with them both as in engine swap or sell the 16v?

Neil

i'd probs sell the valver(dependin on how much ya mate wants for the g60) and spend the change on gettin the g minted

i dont see the point in selling the valver,from the pics it looks a nice example,so id just change the engine rather than starting from scratch again and possibly put the valver in the G60 shell and then sell that on

thats true but...................he should get a fair bit for the valver which should leave him with a fair amount to get the g60 sorted,plus you'd be keepin both cars original,which has gotta be better from a resale point of view?plus less messin about if its only the bodywork that needs attention,like i say it all depends on how much he pays for the g60?

sell the 16v and buy a G60, dont have to fiddle about with anything then, i.e brakes or swapping engines over etc. theres always plenty of G60s about at all prices depending if you want to spend a lot of money on a old dog to tune up or a little bit onf money on an already sorted car, for example....

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44058

HAHA sorry, i find this hilarious... i'm tearing out my G60 to put a 16v in it... and pretty much so is everyone else in the states... i've personally found if you want to make any real power you need to go 16v with forced induction... now i know people will jump to disagree but i feel the 16v is VW's best power making engine...

friend of mine in a montana green GTI 16v turbo on a stock 16v put 426hp to the wheels... problem being i don't know what system you use for power over here... but if it helps for this comparison the stock PL 1.8l 16v made 127hp and the stock 9A 2.0l 16v made 134hp, the G60 PG engine made 158hp in 1990 and 161hp in 1991 and 1992 (maybe it was 160 even) and the G60 engine maxes out it's power right around 250hp to the wheels... i also feel the 16v turbo is far superior to the VR6 turbo as well... i've seen too many forced induction VR6's running high 13 second in the 1/4 mile (and i know you use km but i don't know what it is... but i'll finish and you can atleast get the idea what i am going for) while my friend was running mid 12 second. actually my friend even bent his linkage a bit when he hit a rather bad pot hole while trailering the car on a dolly to the track (again not sure so i play safe... dolly only holds up the front wheels and uses the car's rear wheels to roll with it) and with out 2nd gear, going from 1st to 3rd still ran a 13.4... faster just about any stock engine VR6 with forced induction...

i say keep the 16v, dump on the CIS system and run stand alone (SDS simple digital systems is a great cost efficient system and easy to tune) then turbo and the car will be faster thank you could have ever dreamed haha

(sorry for all the little explanations in between i do not know all that much about europe i guess just what i've set out to learn myself... so i figure next year i'm gonna visit as much of it as i can haha and hit up the junk yards hopefully you guys can poitn to a few good ones :lol: )

friend of mine in a montana green GTI 16v turbo on a stock 16v put 426hp to the wheels

Are you saying that an internally stock 16v with a turbo will put 426hp to the wheels? I'd have to question that!

i know you use km

No chap, we're all about the imperial over here too.

alright, so now i know about the km... but question not... i mean if you really question i could probably get the dyno sheet off of him... i assume he still has it, i don't see why not. last i checked i still have my stock G60 dyno where i put 129.9 to the wheels on a dead stock G60... i'm sure those results aren't typical but it shows they can make much more than any G60 i have ever seen make, whether it be supercharged or turbo...

Obviously a 16v g60 or 16vT would be the best bet,but we arent talking major mods,we are talking fitting the g60 thats 160bhp into a 16v which is 136bhp or buying 1 car over the other

i sold my 16v last year to make way for a G60 that was knackard bodywork wise, but with a good engine. I havent looked back. 8)

Obviously a 16v g60 or 16vT would be the best bet,but we arent talking major mods,we are talking fitting the g60 thats 160bhp into a 16v which is 136bhp or buying 1 car over the other

i don't see it to be a major mod... i see it to be a much better decision that selling a car he already has to buy a car with a G60 when the 16v has more potential... it's also not killer work to run a 16v G60... swap over all of the belt system and accesories from the G60 and bolt them up they're the same block... just the internals head, and engine code stamp are different... so after you've retro'd all of the supercharger bit on, you can swap over the digi system as well or run stand alone, obviously being more expensive... so yeh it sucks.. you;re down and out with out a car for 2 weekends but i still see it being a better choice and selling to get a G60... but that's just me...