Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Cold weather affecting starter motor?

This is an interesting little problem.

Just came back from 2 weeks holiday to pick up the Corrado at the airport and it starts first time no problem at all,after sitting idle for all that time.First hint of winter,i.e. cold night,comes along and the starter wouldn't engage.Just got a horrible whirring screech.Tried it a second time and it fired as if nothing was wrong and proceeded to do so until about a week ago when it did exactly the same thing and then again a few days ago when it wouldn't fire up until about the sixth or seventh turn.

Then tonight got in the car and went to the petrol station and,guess what,the bloody thing did it again.A tad embarassing to say the least to ask for a hammer to get your car going! :oops: :roll:

I have got a new starter to fit but is it coincidence that after a fairly cold night or day,and starting from cold,that the starter starts playing silly beggars or is it just me?

Anybody else come across this?

Mine does it occasionally even though I fitted a new starter to it at the beginning of January it is really annoying when it happens in public everyoner looks at you mine always engages on the second attempt I think it's something to do with the ring gear and it not throwing in properly hence the whurring I'll probably whip it off and exchange it for another new one if it starts to do it too often the beauty of working at a motor factors just replace as and when I need a new one :D

The joy of owning a VR6 is you'd need to be a bloody contortionist to be able to smack the starter motor with a hammer in the first place!!! ;)

Aaargh!!!

Why is it that when I do anything with this bl@@dy car things NEVER go to plan :mad:

Just changed the starter and the bottom long bolt won't go back in because,I think,the threads in the block have somehow stripped when the bolt was removed.It starts to grip and then just slips out again.GRRRRR!!!!

:2gunfire: :mad: :mad: :cry:

I had the same problem, sometimes won't engage, just whirrs. How many times have I pushed it away from the petrol pumps??!!

Though I think I've fixed it. Replaced the starter but the problem returened. Then I looked to the battery. The battery in my car was a 350 amp. I replaced it with a more powerful 495 amp one (the shop said the car should have a 570 amp!!!?), and it hasn't faultered since.

My theory is that on a cold morning the battery's cold and has been sitting overnight, thus slightly down on power. On a hot day once the engine is off a while and the fan cuts in, there is a drain on the battery. If the batterys not up to it, it won't switch the solenoid.

Thats my theory anyway, and it seems to have fixed my problem.

:D

P.S. I used to use a big long socket extension (2/3 foot) and a hammer to get it to engage...

Oh yea, I can't remember but are the threads for the starter motor bolts not on the front engine mount bracket????

Hate to say this to all you guys who have spent a fortune in money (and bleeding knuckles), but normally its the battery that causes this, losing charge in the cold damp air. this sometimes means that the starter soleniod doesnt have enough power to throw gear to engage the flywheel. seen it loads of times on the fords i used to own. also you could try cleaning both the contacts on the battery and the contacts on the starter itself as these often get covered in crap that lets the battery drain charge.

jim

Hate to say this to all you guys who have spent a fortune in money (and bleeding knuckles), but normally its the battery that causes this, losing charge in the cold damp air. this sometimes means that the starter soleniod doesnt have enough power to throw gear to engage the flywheel. seen it loads of times on the fords i used to own. also you could try cleaning both the contacts on the battery and the contacts on the starter itself as these often get covered in crap that lets the battery drain charge.

jim

My C is definitely struggling to start now it's cold, and there's certainly crud on the battery contacts... (no idea where the starter motor lives?).

Could some kind soul please give me the idiots guide to taking the battery connections off to clean the contacts such that I don't electrocute myself...

Presumably, it's remove the -ve lead, then the +ve and replace in reverse order?

...just call me Marvin :roll:

Can Banana Man still get parts???

Please someone - where can I get the best price for a new coilpck? - I HAVE to stop this sparking HT lead (- see separate thread)

If your battery is more than about 4-5 years old, then it will be loving on borrowed tim. Same yourself some time and effort and and get a new one. as stated above get the correct size one for the car, but be carful what it says in some of the 'application' book at certain garages and check what you should be using according to your instruction book.

The new battery can make a JUGE difference in the starting of the car.

Also remember at this time of the year you are probably all starting to use, blower more, rear demist etc, lights and all at the same time, so the battery is getting a hammering, not to mention the stereo of course.... :)

get a quality battery, either a DETA, Hoppeke, MOLL, that type of thing but avoid the big chain specials as they are normally rubbish....and don't last nearly sa long. You are probably looking at about £1/amp for a quality battery.

john

If your battery is more than about 4-5 years old, then it will be loving on borrowed tim.

john

Thanks John. Some kind soul has written 26/06/01 on the current battery, so I think it's just the dirt :oops:

Good advice when I do need to change it though, thanks!

DtM.