Sign in to follow this  
1st rado for me

Rear calipers advice

Hi Guy's

My new corrado failed its mot today can sort most things out but have a few questions.

I need to get a new rear caliper , should i stick with the original or upgrade to something else I am looking at replacing all the discs and pads aswell.

Also a strange one my speedo is reading 10-15mph over actual speed.

I have checked wheel and tyre size to see if this was causing the problem.

I am running 15" alloys with 195/50/15 tyres so dont think this is the cause of the problem.

thanks once again for all your help guys.

Coming soon a corrado that works perfectly, oh and some peace for you lot.

Mk4 Golf rear callipers have a revised design that works better and they're all alloy, so less prone to ceasing.

If you have a search, there's a thread about somewhere that tells you what you need, where you can get it from and how much it costs.

Essentially it's Mk4 rear callipers, Goodridge Mk2->Mk4 adapter hoses, Mk4 pads and Corrado disks. Brembo disks from GSF seem to be flavour of the month, but pads is anyone's game. Most people seem to be using Pagid Fast Road or EBC Greenstuff. I think the Pagid FRs are a smidge cheaper, but more dusty than the Greenstuff pads.

The only problem we find with G4 calipers is that the bleed nipple seizes in and when you come to bleed the brakes after 2 years, releasing the nipple rips out the thread. We have tried ally paste to stop this but don't know yet if it has worked, too soon to tell.

If I can just sneak this in............if you have a VR I have some used Black Diamond Disks you can have plus Ferodo DS2500 pads.......sneak out.....

I've just done the MK4 rears, good upgrade. Trying to get the caliper carrier off was fun though - Snapped my hex key on it (halfords professional though so I get a new one free!).

Also you'll need new wheel bearings if you're changing the rear discs.

If I can just sneak this in............if you have a VR I have some used Black Diamond Disks you can have plus Ferodo DS2500 pads.......sneak out.....

.......... is that the rear discs mate :thumbleft: , if so, i`ll be interested ..... any chance of a photo ?

Yeah sorry - don't think that what I said is gospel! :lol:

The Black Diamonds and VAG disks both seem pretty good. In fact the only ones I've heard bad reviews of are Zimmerman's, particularly the cross-drilled ones because they crack. That might have just been the fronts, but even so, it doesn't exactly point to quality workmanship.

Mate,

just got all the bits to do the Mk4 rear calliper conversion, i got;

MK4 rear callipers

Goodridge conversion hoses Mk2 > MK4

Brembo rear corrado discs

Textar rear pads (to fit MK4 callipers)

Also got some Pagid fast road pads for the front.

Got this lot from C+R (01159785740) , cost just under £300 when you do the excange for your old callipers. You can shop around and get some parts cheeper (other brands etc) elsewhere but i found it was taking ages to search stuff out and its much easier to order from one place!

I also got 2 new wheel bearing for the rear from my VAG dealer, about £16 ea.

Hope this helps, mine are being fitted tomorrow, so hopefully stopping quicker this w-end!

I always specify the Textar pads as they are the only ones with a self adhesive backing. Remind your garage to clean off the self adhesive backing for the pad on the piston (and a slither of copper grease or ally paste) but use the sticky backing on the outer pad. This backing stops the pads from howling.