Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

MOT Question

Just taken the Nugget for its MOT...it failed but only on a couple of points, rear brake compensator seized (just needs freeing off) and handbrake not effective enough.

Can anyone tell me what the handbrake efficiency needs to be in % terms

My car also failed the MOT on handbrake effectiveness, but I explained that it was all the newer MK4 calipers and pads and I can't be accountable for VW's crap design and that it's never failed on the HB before, so he let it through somehow. Think mine was just over 15%.

Mine also failed on the emissions, but they let that through aswell after driving it round the block a few times to really warm it up. They were helpful and leniant but he said ever since the new VOSA system has come out, loads of older cars are failing where they would have passed on the older system.....hmmmmm.

Fortunately the garage I use for general work up here (Madeley Testing Station, formerly Severn Valley Motorsport) are really good blokes, very genuine and cheap (£24 per hour), they have said they will sort it all out for me next weekend and give me my new MOT

The seized compensator can make the handbrake crap but Mk4 rears are the way to go...

I would have thought they'd have just free'd the compensator up when doing the MOT tho - this has been done for me several times over the last few years with Golfs as well as Corrado's - sounds a bit picky if thats all it failed on!

he said ever since the new VOSA system has come out, loads of older cars are failing where they would have passed on the older system.....hmmmmm.

unfortunatly with the new system being computerised that works out the brake efficiency where on the old system it was down to the tester, who unless it was really poor would just give an advisory note.

You still enter your own brake results on the VOSA P.C,so its still up to the tester to decide if its a pass or fail.

Its the piston of the compensator that seizes most of the time and not the lever so spraying WD40 and wiggling the lever makes no difference most of the time.

For 15% i would have passed and advised.

To be honest I'd rather have a tester who applies the letter of the law, I value third party making sure that my cars are safe and roadworthy and wouldn't appreciate anyone bending the rules for me, once they start doing it its surely a slippery slope until it starts to compromise individuals safety

Hear hear. For all that we want our cars to get through, and WE know they're ok really, that kind of rule applied universally leads to the prick coming the other way in the totally unroadworthy banger having no brakes...