Sign in to follow this  
Banana Man

URGENT help required

I am in the process of trying to fit my new downpipe I have got to the stg now where I am really pissed ioff with it. So far I have undone all the 6 nuts that secure the flexi part of the down part to the manifold I have undone one of the 3 bolts that join the down pipe to the cat or what was the cat now a bypass pipe but the moron who done it has used very odd sized bolts (between 10-11mm) which weren't obviously the right bolts as they have rusted and welded themselves to the flange so I am now in the predicament on what to do. Can the down pipe be tajen out backward to the rear of the car without dropping the subframe or moving the rack sideways as it looks to me that it cant?? Anyone with any Ideas please post now as I need the car for tomorrow for work has anyone infact ever attemted this??

Ant

I ve given up for this evening removing the inlet and exhaust manifold fuel rail and all the other bits that go with it would have taken another couple of hours at least it's pretty hard working on the car in the dark :( I'm going to take an angle grinder to it and cut the fu**er up that way I will be able to remove it from the side and get the centre section out and undo or grind off the the naff bolts that were put in the flange. Nothing is ever simple! bang goes going to edition 38 show on saturday unless my boss is willing to be kind and let me have Friday off of work!!

Hi Anthony, ref removal of your front pipe. The only way to DIY remove this item is taking it out from the top. This does entail unfortunately removing all the manifolds to give a clear path. It is still a little tight in places to extract, but none the less it will come out in one piece this way. Alternatively bolt it back up sufficiently to get it to an exhaust centre and they will be able to perform this task in much less time with greater ease, and will likely as not only make a nominal charge, getting you to your show.

Ok, when I did my 16v downpipe I had to undo all the bolts ect, and then turn the downpipe round 180 degrees with a little wiggling and stuff. Bobs your auntie, out it popped!!

I then had to go to the casualty department to get a large bit of rust from my eye!!!. So kids, wear goggles!!

Right today I borrowed my mates 4 poster ramp I didn't want to udo all the exhaust manifold and inlet manifold as I was sure I wasd going to be able to get the thing rotated enough to pull it through over the power steering rack and the crossmember once I had cut off the old rusted bolts through the down pipe to system flange I attempted to go ahead and pull it through but no joy was had there as the driveshaft was stopping me rotating the downpipe to get a decent angle on it so I undone the inner cv joint and moved it to one side and after a lot of manipulation the downpipe came out front to back :D ( Just nice!! ) I thought it was going to be a mission putting the new downpipe in the way that the old one came out but it went in without any troubles at all :D Now it all back together it's all sweet again HOOORAH :D A 4 poster ramp made it so much easier than scraping around on the floor of my driveway with things 2 inches away from my face.

I am physically tired now everything is aching on my body from working upside down but I would rather that than to have shelled out £100 in labour for someone else to do it. Now I can go to the show this weekend after all YIPEEEE

Ant,

would you have been able to remove the exhaust manifold as well? And do you think you could get a 4 branch manifold back up there?

Just about to do this!! Not looking forward to it.