Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Was going to be a pollen filter write-up but hit a problem..

I was going to post a write-up of the addition of a pollen filter to my Corrado but I've hit a problem. I can't get the plastic bit of trim off the windscreen (external) to allow me to remove the gutter and get proper access to the cabin air intake.

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic bit circled in this photo?

I really need to remove it to get proper access. Otherwise the guttering will get really distorted when hauling everything out.

Thanks.

It comes as part of the windscreen but should come off ok - I wonder if you have to take the other sections and wipers off first...

I fitted a Jetex pollen filter ok to mine without removing it tho but it was a bit of a squeeze - the plastic bit does go back ok and into shape - depends how much room you need really...

Oh and by the way, these filters are well worth it if your a hay fever sufferer - I was getting it really badly earlier in the year and since the filter has been on i've not had it at all (in the car anyway)

Hmm.. Wonder if it'll make a difference to the amount of dirt the inide of my windscreen seems to attract? I have to clean it more often than I have any other car!

I wish I known about the Jetex one sooner. I bought a pollen filter for a Peugoet van from Halfords and my dad fabricated a steel mounting for it which funnels the air to the fan - Lots of work.

It keeps the interior cleaner, and helps keep pollen levels down, although this time of year you have your windows open anyway.

After 2 months it was clogged up with dirt and that stupid fluffy stuff that floats around from trees and plants :?

You can buy them from VW as well Phil

Not according to my dealers, I did ask, as I was under that impression too.

Maybe my dealers are just rubbish. Actually they are completely hopeless and have messed up more or less every parts order I have placed with them.

Oh well, I have a custom pollen filter now :lol:

Phil, you want to speak to Neil at Ipswich Audi mate - he is the man for parts!

There was never a pollen filter for the C execpt for maybe A/C models but the mk2/3 golf one sort of fits I think...

Supercharged, Yes, I might give him a try, I've met him a fiew times via here and Seatcupra.net.

I know there was a pollen filter for the MK2 Golf, I've seen photos of it. It looks like a charcoal filer out of an extractor fan, flat and clips in a frame which replaces the leaf guard. I'll upload a photo of mine so you can see what I have done.

It comes as part of the windscreen but should come off ok - I wonder if you have to take the other sections and wipers off first...

I fitted a Jetex pollen filter ok to mine without removing it tho but it was a bit of a squeeze - the plastic bit does go back ok and into shape - depends how much room you need really...

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It was the Jetex one I've bought. It looks the business. The only problem is getting space to fit it. It really looks like there's only about a mm between the existing leaf guard and the metal of the car.

I think the best idea is to probably remove the whole thing and join it to the existing leaf guard 'off car', then refit the whole thing. This gives the chance to clean out all the leaves are rubbish in there too.

I'd still like to know how to get the plastic trim off though! I don't think it's bonded to the windscreen. I think it's actually clipped, probably those kind that you only see once you've broken them by prising in the wrong area.

I've not fitted it yet. I decided to leave it for when I'm next at my parents where I've got proper access to tools. It's not ideal doing this sort of thing on a main road without a driveway and your tools are 2 floors up in a flat.

I'll report back later when I get the chance to do it...

Im sure the plastic trim does just clip off... I think they are quite robust as i broke my windscreen and the fitter guy wasnt exactly gentle when removing it...!

OK, I fitted this at the weekend, but I didn't have my camera with me.

It's a bit of a bugger getting the old leaf guard thing out but it's really a necessity. You then fit the filter over the top of it, but I've just suddenly thought that maybe I was supposed to remove the top plastic mesh bit to give it more room.

Putting the whole thing back in was very difficult and required lots of force. It's literally jammed right against the metal above it but I got it in eventually. I'm sure it's distorted it a bit.

I'll upload a photo of the filter that I took a few weeks ago before I started the job.