Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Which brakes behind these wheels?

I'd be more inclined to go for the late Golf MK3 VR6 288mm brakes than dual piston 280's as the friction area is probably 40% greater on the 288's due to the larger pad. Mine cost me £45 of eBay for disks, calipers, carriers & pads - bargain!

16" RX's will defo fit 'cos I've got this exact setup on mine. The stopping power is more than adequate for a standard VR6 IMHO & it has the added benefit of allowing the fitment of standard wheels without taking the mod off.

Sorry, don't know anything about the 312's

312mm's are superb but no matter what you do the brakes still feel spongy.

312mm's will rip your face off though. It physically hurts when you stamp on the brakes. They are huge and look the dogs.

Only problem is, they dont fit behind all 16" rims which is a factor to consider.

T.

That's why I asked if they will fit behind the 16 RXs, and how will they compare to the one in the link? Does anyone know? I'd rather not have the spongy feeling though, will the setup in the link help?

You can get rid of the spongy feeling its just that people don't bleed the system properley after fitting, bleed the master cylinder and ABS, my 312mm are awesome and firmer than the 280s were too!

Have you any idea how the ones in the link will compare to the 312s? Should I just stick with the 312s?

Any idea if they will fit behind the 16inch RXs?

What discs and pads are you using OSV?

I'm running the standard OE TT fit discs and pads, that product sounds spot on but you can probably get the 288s or 312mm complete for less. I paid £250 for brand new discs, pads, callipers and carriers.

IIRC someone had to shave a bit off their calipers to fit under their BBS 16's, but not sure which type they were.

Mind if I ask where you got them from?

There was a guy in Germany selling them on Ebay, can't recall his details i'm afraid.

IIRC someone had to shave a bit off their calipers to fit under their BBS 16's, but not sure which type they were.

Yup Radostormvr6 had to shave a bit off his calipers to fit them under BBS RC's (16's). RC's are a very similar design to RX's so they are probably the same.

keep your eye on edition38 and the vr6 owners club, also TT's get broken on ebay very often, plus the TT forum, thye are fairly easy to get hold of, i got mine for £185 off ed38, :)

yeh, everything mate, the discs were as new, even if they are the crap standard audi ones, and the pads were brand new,you could just phone up any audi/vw breakers, they are very cheap for the performance upgrade, 8)

312mm's are superb but no matter what you do the brakes still feel spongy.

That's the poor pedal design and also the OE top mounts flicking the struts back into the arch under hard braking.

312mm's will rip your face off though. It physically hurts when you stamp on the brakes. They are huge and look the dogs.

Hmmm, I wouldn't go that far. They're good, but certainly not organ rearranging.