Sign in to follow this  
Charleslyman

supercharge or turbocharge?

A supercharger/compressor is powered by the drivebelt while a turbocharger is powered by the exhaust pressure.

I think superchargers are nice since since they give a more continuous boost, but turbos are somehow more fun ;)

would that be safe and how would that work, you would continuous boost from the super and the turbo giving you that extra boost after that, how much BHP would that give you??

VW have just released a supercharged/turbocharged Golf over here btw.........tho its only a 1.4L engine it produces 170bhp,the supercharger gives it boost till about 3k revs and then the turbo takes over.............back in the 80's Lancia had the supercharger/turbocharger combo in their ill-fated Gruppe B S4 rally car,it was producing silly power tho

back in the 80's Lancia had the supercharger/turbocharger combo in their ill-fated Gruppe B S4 rally car,it was producing silly power tho

That was some car, 500 odd bhp i think. I have a video of it somewhere doing an austrian hillclimb.

The very one! The sound off it is amazing. A car that whistles, bangs, farts squats and goes all at the same time!

I'd think it would be a problem to have both the supercharger and turbo running at the same time though, you'd need some kind of separation based on engine speed to fit both in a Corrado with a VR6 engine. It's wouldn't be that easy.

These set-ups are made so that you would get a more continuous power from the engine over a longer rpm range.

If I wanted to boost my engine, well rather if I could afford it, I'd get a turbo, but for reasons unknown to me, it's more common to supercharge the VR6. I've seen both though.

What you need is a Mad Max style electronic clutch on the supercharger so that it can be switched out automatically, or manually :-) By which time there will be sufficient engine revs to get the turbo up to speed and take over.

I personally think it's a waste of time. Sequential bi-turbo is the way to go.