Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Cleaning alloys

Always had a problem keeping the original BBS alloys on the G60 clean, tried all sorts of cleaners and brushes etc but nothing really seemed to do the job - until today - used Autoglym Engine and Machine CLeaner and a standard paintbrush to agitate - the results were fantastic - really quick and easy and the cleaner is paintwork friendly - a lot cheaper than the specific wheel cleaners I have tried as well

I admit they're a right arse to get properly clean, I might try that stuff. Cheers.

They were filthy from 800 miles last week, took me 10 minutes to clean all 4, spray the stuff on, leave for a minute, quick flick over with a paint brush and spray off - spotlessly clean alloys - just checked the price of the Autoglym stuff too - £5.99 for 1 litre

when i had BBS splits on my Compact 5yrs ago.............i got into the regime of cleaning them every day/night with soapy water(cheap car wash shampoo),wheels never really got dirty enough to need agitating with anything stronger,I also discovered by accident that the Auto-Glym engine and machine cleaner is rather good at cleaning carpet/fabric,as i spilt some on a dirty floor mat by accident discovered the spill the next day and washed the mat with water and it was like new

Can you buy the Autoglym engine and machine cleaner, or CTFR from the likes of halfords? Anything that means I don't have to spend about an hour cleaning the feckers has got to be worth a try!

Thabks for the Thread mate i'll give it a try before I go to castle combe saturday

steve_16v wrote

Can you buy the Autoglym engine and machine cleaner, or CTFR from the likes of halfords?

All Autoglym products are widely available in Halfords and other auto bits shops.

All Autoglym products are widely available in Halfords and other auto bits shops.

Cheers craigowl (wasn't sure if it was part of the trade range), I'll pick some up next time I go there and give it a try.

Cool, got some of that machine cleaner stuff in the cupboard, never used it on engines tho. I'll give it a bash on the wheels.

Autoglym stuff is like Vanish soap powder, it'll clean anything :-)

steve_16v wrote

Cheers craigowl (wasn't sure if it was part of the trade range), I'll pick some up next time I go there and give it a try.

Nah - the engine cleaner stuff is available to all. I have used it for years, but not yet on alloys.