Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Best "stock" speaker replacements?????

OK looking to replace all the speakers in my early interior. Rears are torn and f@rt doors look like some-one's kicked them and the drivers front tweeter's stopped working.

What are the best component replacements that aren't silly money?

Was thinking Infinity...JBL...sony...

I've had JBLs and MB quarts in my Corrados and have been very happy with both... Never rated sony speakers TBH... ;)

no, stay clear of Sony speakers imo

they make good TVs, not speakers

I have the JBL 4x6 in the back and they seem fine (although only really good enough for people in the back as you can't hear them up front at all)

In the fronts I've got a pair of Alpine 5.25" and if you've got a sub then you should be happy enough. If no sub, then you might need something a bit more top end for the bass....

Happy with my Pioneer speakers as a direct replacement for front dash and rear shelf - no speakers in doors.

TS-H107 and TS-H467 are the types I have fitted - both are a coaxial type speaker whatever that means..

JBL do some great value speakers, I had a pair of £20 5.25" coaxials in my last car that were a huge improvement over the stock ones. I think you can usually find similar JBL component speakers for about £50 which'll suit the factory positions in the rado nicely.

My (bugdet) setup is Vibe components up front - woofers in the doors and tweeters and the crossovers in the dash positions secured with hot melt glue.

Also Alpine 6x4s in the back, all run off a Pioneer DEh 77MP headunit. I don't use an amp, although to amp the fronts is probabably the next step, but I'm more thn happy with the SQ at the moment so it will prob be left as is.

is that the best way to replace the tweeters in the dash mate????? glue the new ones in with hot gule gun thing

do you have to cut much dash out for speakers i find there a bit tight to get flat

i drilled the speaker grilles in the dash and fitted the tweeters into them, i will post a pic u8p later, i have mb's in the back and focals in the front

With my JBL's I got the plastic stock tweeter housings (the ones that fit into the dash under the grilles), pulled the stock tweeter out then drilled a suitable size hole in the plastic with a holesaw, to take the flush mount kit that came with the JBL tweeters. These allow the tweets to be angled towards the middle of the car, and doing it this way means you can keep it looking factory. I did have to re-shape the driver's side grille though, had to make it dome shaped to accomodate the angled tweeter.

My personal preference would be the infinity reference components for the front if you are not looking into spending alot money. and for the rear get some of the infinity reference 4x6 's. it will have a very nice crisp sound . thats just my opinion though

I like infinity's too but you have to be careful driving the tweeters - not the toughest in the world and blow quite easily.

If you're lucky you might still find some mission car speakers - not sure if they still make them but i've seen the odd shop that still have some. Quality is in a different league to most. You can even get a mission amp. Nice.

Also if you do not mind spending a couple bucks you can go with what i have. The infinity kappa perfect components. they will set you back about $350 (american) but you wil be amazed.