Sign in to follow this  
Jim

I hate car insurance...

I personally feel there needs to be some sort of review of how car insurance works.

Watching an episode of Top Gear where they review the Mercedes CLS Class AMG - running the 5.5 litre supercharged V8 and all the toys. Got thinking and popped the details into my insurance website...

Can you believe that an insurance quote for this car from the company I currently insure my Corrado with is as near as the SAME as i'm currently paying? Yes its a more modern, safer car but it has SELLAFIELD under the bonnet, would cost FAR more to repair and would be so much more desirable to steal.

For the record I can get insured on this £70,000 luxuary power cruiser for £669 fully comp..

Its not just me thinking that we have a messed up insurance system in this country... is it?

It does seem totally screwed up - I pay more for the Nugget G60 even though its on a limited mileage and is garaged than I do on my Class 1 business use 30k per year G60

i pay £700 on my A4 tdi estate with 12 year ncd

and £300 on my g60 with 0 ncd

both parked on the street (for now)

hmmm, i had mine insured for around £950 fully comp 4 years no claims, 23 years old. I also have a IN10 (no i dont make the habit of not having insurance, picked new car up with out ins... my bad) and also 3 points for speeding. Still not too bad premiums

there's a few

you have to have another insurance policy on another car,and thats to be your main car

normally you have to be over 25yo

some companies want you to have the car garaged at nights etc

i pay 56 quid more to insure the corrado than my 115pd tdi mk4 golf a year.. work that one out... agreed value, like for like replacement and trackday cover! ?????!!!! I'm not complaining!!

B

I think i'm paying too much with Churchill on my current Rado - am in a very low crime area, and the car is garaged and I have 6 years NCD.. but it was one of those where it would cost more to try and find a different insurer so I just stuck with them for the remainder of this policy and will go elsewhere afterwards.

I'm currently paying £1400 :(

That covers me and my wife ( who's only had her license for 7 months and is under 25 ) to drive the rado, the g40, and a golf 1.8 driver, all fully comp with full breakdown cover on each car.

I'm in the process of changing policies though because £1400 is ridiculous!

That is steep - but then i'm paying approx £600 simply because churchill are not fond of modified cars. Again, was glad they could not charge me for my inlet cam because they didn't have that on their system - so if you ever get a 2.0 16v Rado and JUST change that, Churchill basically give you that 15-20BHP power increase for free..

Muhuhuha ;)

Yeah I can never work out insurance companies. I pay £500 fully comp on the VR and £300 TPFT on the crappy diesel golf. However, I have 6 or 7 years no claims on the VR and only 1 on the golf.

figure this out, insuring my rado with everyting declared for £345 fully comp everything protected agreed value etc etc, but they wanted an extra £115 for me to go on the girlfreinds 1.2 seat ibiza, swiftly told them were to go, so ended up paying nothing to go on her insurance, :lol:

just renewed the insurance on H-YYU... £689.70 fully comp with my missus on as well, unlimited milage, agreed value of £7500, all mods claimed with power up to 255BHP allowed and unlimited body/suspension mods allowed... I asked for a quote on a £500 MKII Golf GTI for TPFT only as a second car, and, even though they mirrored my full no-claims, it came in at £350!!! WTF is that about?!?

Guess I'll just have to stay using the Corrado as my daily driver... ;) :lol:

my insurance was 900 quid this year on my Rado. I've got full no claims, 3 points living in Manchester (£££).

i tried a quote for a fiesta - that was going to be 650 quid!!! WTF.

I'm 24 now, does being 25 make that much difference? I bloody hope so

Got to take my hands off to Adrian Flux

Forgot to do the usual surfing for a cheaper quote when Adrain Flux contacted me and said i had 14 Days to contact them otherwise they will contiune my policy and Debit my account £500 for my renewal. Previous year was £607, so not bad.

Anyways realised £500 went out of my account on monday and thought oh crap.

I decided to check a few places just to anger myself more and when i punched my detatils into Direct line it came up £392

Blimey over £100 cheaper. At this point i was annoyed for being lazy. Need all the money i can get.

Anyways i phone Adrian Flux and faxed a printout of the quote and within 24 hours they phoned me and told me they can actually beat the price and did my insurance for £370 Fully comp 24yrs 5 years no claims :D

Refunded my card and i went out for a :drinking:

(got a taxi home)

Before I had my Rado I had a 1.4 Focus :oops: and hadn't got round to declaring my 6 penalty points, the Focus was group 4 and my premium was £600.

Then I bought the 16v knowing the insurance group and expecting a serious increase as I was also declaring the penalty points too. What happens?? They quote me £500 :crazyeyes:

mines too much , 700 fully comp 3 years no clames and i am 33 going to change it or make them lower it.

why is there no set prices with insurance? if you bought a tv from currys for £700 if you wnet anywhere else you may find maximum £100 difference in prices, but iwth insurance on place cna say £800 fully comp and naother £2000 for exactly the same car!!!!! there really does need to be more investigative work into insurance companies workings and price structure...... it's fecked up :cuckoo: