Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Ok I know this has been asked 1000 times

Done a search on CL issues but there's no real "definative" thred.

My CL doesn't work, pump's fine (well makes right noises) but no movement from the locks. It sounds like a tube issue but I can't find a relevant thred about the routing on the tubes or how to diagnose a leak?

Any help please?

diagnose a leak? Easy... take the pipe off the pump and then blow down the pipe.... if you can blow and it doesn't feel like you're trying to inflate a car tyre by mouth, then there's unlikely to be a leak and the pump's probably gone weak... If you can't blow anything into the system, try sucking and see if you can actually get any air out of the system....

while you've got the pump disconected from the pipe, fire the central locking while holding your (dampened) finger over outlet... you should feel it suck HARD and blow HARD when you open/close the central locking... if you don't, your pump's goosed.... ;)

^^ Thank god Dinkus isn't around much at the moment, he'd have been all over that post with the ammount of inuendo's for the taking :lol:

cheers will have a go over the week-end in amongst weddings etc.

If I have to chase it how do I take off the door cards? Can see 4 screws on edges and the clips at the bottom and assume the door pin unscrews, but no obvious way of taking out the release handle trim?

but no obvious way of taking out the release handle trim?

You push it towards the back of the car and it slides off

There's also a screw behind the speaker cover on either late or early models , can't remember which off the top of my head.

^^ Thank god Dinkus isn't around much at the moment, he'd have been all over that post with the ammount of inuendo's for the taking :lol:

Damned right :lol:

Door cards are held on with screws on both ends, 2 big buggers under the grab handle (the top section of the handle pops off - there's a screwdriver-shaped hole on it somewhere to get leverage), 1 behind the speaker grille and er I think that's it. Be careful not to split the plastic strip that runs along the top of the door card though - it's easy to break and you can't get new ones.

The rear door cards are held on with screws along the bottom and top right by the seat belt and the rest is push-fit plastic plugs.

I'm fairly sure the CL pump is behind the driver's side rear door card, but it might be the passenger one.

Right, pump seems Ok as the boot solenoid works (as does the petrol flap) So I guess it's the pipes for the doors, is there a T piece I should be looking for?

OK can blow and suck without ruputing myself (cue dinkus!).

So I guess something's come adrift/ split somewhere...

Where are the weak points (I'm guessing door hinges/ connections)?

All the electrics seem fine as both door locks activate the pump...... :scratch:

there is a joint under each side of the dashboard which has a nasty habbit of splitting and stopping the front doors from working... If both doors aren't working, I'd suspect a break on the drivers side by the earthing block under the dash just up from the fuse box... ;)

The same thing happened with my brothers golf, we tried new pump, checked all pipes etc. It turned out to be the vacuum unit in the drivers door.

Many thanks guys, finally fixed it! Turned out that the pipe had come off the drivers door solenoid! What and arse to get to though! Good job I've skinny arms!

Some swearing and swaeting but all done, only problem is that I snapped the door pin when trying to re-attach the door card! Got the door back together and almost had a heart attack when I couldn't unlock the door! (Pin was stuck under the card!) More jiggery pokery and a wood screw in the plastic stump to keep it all in line and ........

IT WORKS!!!! I've even discovered the total closure on the windows (by accident almost trapped my head in it!)

All I have to do is get a new set of door pins and replace them, see my next thred for that "epic" :D