Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

What can you remove from a vr????

I'd like to start a list please....

Everything that can be removed from a vr but keeping it road legal / mot'able.

So...

Interior - seats, door cards, carpet, headlining, parcel shelf.

How far can you go with the dash etc? Can everything be removed as long as I keep indicator switches, lights, wipers, etc? Can all the actual dash assembly etc go?

Anything in the engine bay? Underneath the car.

And can you get fibreglass bonnets anywhere?

Cheers :)

Comfort etc DOES NOT come into it at all. Purely from a legal/ mot point of view.

And how much weight do you reckon you could loose?

Dont see why you cant loose all but the drivers seat, the front seats being massively heavy, and even the upright rear section aint light!

That would probably be enough to notice when driving jsut about! Rear wiper motor and rear wiper bye bye, another couple of kilos.

You can get carbon bonnets, and glass is very heavy, you could replace some of them with perspex maybe??

Are we talking track day adventures you loon!??

Well yeah, but keeping it road legal. I'll get my blue one minty and put the new engine in that, then strip every possible bit off the black one :)

Am i right in thinking that you don't actually have to have any dash, trim etc other than some sort of instrument binnacle?

sounds right to me, kit cars only have that, and theres no airbag issues.

sounds like a great idea!! great fun, what motors going in the black one then??

I've got a brand new zero mile lump for the blue fella, and i'll put the one from the blue fella in the black car. Complicated, but its got to be that way round for various reasons. The stripped out black one is gonna get ragged and i couldn't do that to a brand new engine!

i know about the engine you get! will be the only brand spanker vag engine on here prob!

im still after a head to rebuild if you havnt found your original buyer yet btw?

Yeah, good idea, some aftermarket zorsts are literaly about a 5th the weight of the original! my miltec was, that would save a lot too. And light wheels help. Loose the spare obviously, i never run with one ever, and thats only an mot fail if the is a spare in the car and the tyres duff. take it out and throw it away and they cant fail it lol!

Theres a very very good thread on e38 about mk1 racers which might give you a few ideas... those guys have taken to removing the wings and litterally cutting big chunks of bodywork out for weight saving! bit mental really!

Sound proofing is also going to be heavy, I'd say strip the interiour down to bare metal other than the drivers seat, you could remove most of the gubbins for the sunroof and maybe weld it closed? thats got to be a heavy beast. Depends how deep your pockets are too, perspex windows will save alot of weight but IIRC they cost a bomb.

Fog lights.

Door Handles??

Glass sunroof instead of normal one? Lighter?

Badges! :)

Plastic covers on the engine

Lighter brake disks???

Needs fog light for an mot mate.

Got a glass sunroof already :)

Door handles - gotta need them for an mot surely???

Just found out you can get a half roll cage for 200 quid!

So what sort of weight do you reckon could be removed? 100 kg?

bumpers replaced by a set of fiberglass ones?

if u do decide to weld the sunroof up,i'll have ya glass roof setup mate :lol:

i reckon you'll get 100kg from the interiour alone! those seats arent light by anyones standards and if you're taking out the entire dash, carpet and soundproofing...

I'd have thought the CL pump, electric windows and associated mech's could probably be dumped, although you'd need some other way of opening your window.

With regards the dash, I don't think you need a lot of it there. Henny got his car MOT'd fine with the instrument cluster just sort of balanced on top of some of the dash shell but he had the majority of it ripped out.. I dont think there is any legal requirement to have any of it provided the clocks and stalks work!

There's definately a few pumps and motors that can be dumped eh Chris?

Like you say - CL, PAS?, windows, mirrors, rear wiper.....

Any more? :)