Sign in to follow this  
wilson

My 16v whistles like a charger !!!!

What would cause this, it sounds turbo'd or s'charged, but it isn't !

At first I thought previous owner might have put one of them whistler things up the exhaust, but I think they go in tailpipe, and there is nothing there... It is really annoying me help !

Engine is standard apart from exhaust..

Thanks

my old valver used to do that, i didnt have a clue what it was then someone suggested it was probably the fins on the alternator making a wizzing sound, which makes sense!

my old valver used to do that, i didnt have a clue what it was then someone suggested it was probably the fins on the alternator making a wizzing sound, which makes sense!

I had thought it could be something to do with or connect to the belts.. is it something you can stop do you reckon, or is it case of replacing the alternator?

Thanks

water pump on its way out? or belt rubbing on covers

:( Bugger !

Actually the cam belt cover doesn't seem to clip over the top like it should... may have a look tonight

definately cam belt tensioner mine was doing it and i changed it and it stopet but i put it back on cus i realy like the noice

lol... send me the quiet one then !!!

How much are they mate? where from?

Well took the tensioner off, it feels a little rough when spinning it.. then I didn't know what to do, so I put it back on, and funny enough the noise is still there ! where do i get a new one? how much are they !

Cambelt tensioner on the 1.8 is about £40 inc. vat from VW, GSF do them for about £20 inc. vat but for something critical like that I'd stick with VAG for peace of mind.

myns been making some funny whistling noise.. changed the tensioner not long ago..

Did it sort it, or you mean its been whistling since?