Sign in to follow this  
wilson

Corrado 1.8 16v vs mk2 Golf GTI 16v

Which should be quicker in a straight line?

Its just my Corrado seems so sluggish compared to a golf I drove a little while back.. or is the C heavier?

Which should be quicker in a straight line?

Its just my Corrado seems so sluggish compared to a golf I drove a little while back.. or is the C heavier?

100kgs says the golf :)

you may find the golf has better gearing too, at max speed the corrado will have the edge as it's more aerodynamic than the golf.

Would be very close if they were both running right. As David says, the C would be ahead at the top end.

wilson, take it to Stealth for a RR tune. Get the WUR mod (warm up regulator) etc and you'll be getting over 150bhp easy, and beating all the MK2's :wink:

Would be very close if they were both running right. As David says, the C would be ahead at the top end.

wilson, take it to Stealth for a RR tune. Get the WUR mod (warm up regulator) etc and you'll be getting over 150bhp easy, and beating all the MK2's :wink:

apart from the ones set up at stealth :wink:

I run a 1.8 16v C, my bro's got a 1.8 16v golf - his feels faster IMO, never had a race though. Both have been modified by previous owners but not sure to what extent.

WUR mod increases amount of fuel, AFAIK theres a dimple on the back of the WUR, drill this out and theres an adjustment screw to increase or lean off amount of fuel WUR adds. Timing will need to be fettled after adjusting fuelling.

they`d be nothing in it i dont reckon, maybe when new but not now

at this age i think it`d be dependant on the way the engine`s been treated throughout its life

i`ve had mine RR at dubsport and stealth (see Sig) and had over 150bhp at both only mods being exhaust and air filter and its on 158,000, but it still doesn`t feel very quick.

i think the golf would feel faster as it`s a more bare, less sound proofing etc than the C

i think the golf would feel faster as it`s a more bare, less sound proofing etc than the C

yeah, C feels more refined and leisurely than G

I beat an 8v pretty easy...dunno bout the 16v, never raced one.

standard vs standard, golf would win most likely, not by much though

wilson, have you read this yet? :wink:

Interesting, not to keen on moddifying anymore though, wouldn't mind a good set up and the warm up thingy done.. where is this Stealth.. what do they charge?

I think your def right there, I am pleasently surprised at how solid and quiet the C feels, even with the big exhaust its got !

My raddo feels slower than my saxo vtr from some years back! I know it isn't, but i think the C is just better built. In the saxo it felt like the engine was trying to tear away from the rest of chassis, which is a sign of bad suspension setup, whereas when you put your foot down in the C it feels alot smoother and at car feels held together alot more.

Then again, if i wanted to go fast i wouldnt have bought a valver!

ben16v I was thinking of having the wur mod done at stealth being as though you are only down the road from me fancy a trip down one weekend and geting them on the rollers :)

Then again, if i wanted to go fast i wouldnt have bought a valver!

Exactly, you can get faster cars for cheaper, but nowadays I have to find a nice balance between performance and consumption. Consumption never bothered me before when i only lived down the road from work.

Although I imagine stock G60's aren't bad on fuel are they?

Book figures say a Golf 16v is quicker 0-60mph by around .5 of a second in standard trim.

A mk II 1.8 8v rocco is quicker than a 16v C as well 0-60mph and retains a good weight advantage as well as the aerodynamics over both the Golf and the Corrado.

In reality with the age of the cars a poor state of tune and condition of the engines as well as mods like larger alloys will all have an adverse effect on performance. (unless you fitted lighter alloys that is)