Sign in to follow this  
CoxyLaad

DSG

Has anyone driven one of the dsg equiped new motors?

I am almost certain that stage 2 (read 22) of my project once its on the road is going to be a DSG install. I have been doing some reading and dont think its going to be too difficult to install.

What does concern me is the apparent reliability problems they suffer. The 'internet rumour' relates to the amount of power they can handle but from what I can gather the power has no direct relation to the reported failures.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Yeah, do it!!

The only issue I could see is if you weren't using the complete R32 wiring loom. I would imagine that the DSG box would have its own electronic controller, that would be a node on a CAN(data) network, and it would need to 'see' the engine ECU and instrament cluster as nodes, for it to work. (educated guess of course)

hi coxy i had an automatic dsg mk5 diesel! on the whole i was incredibly impressed with it very nice change through the gears however on the tuesday it did just cut out as i blipped it from a standing junction then couldnt get it started for half hour everything just locked up

id say do it but might be tres expensive if it cocks up? dunno how much replacement parts will be?

Any thoughts?

Yeah, do it!!

The only issue I could see is if you weren't using the complete R32 wiring loom. I would imagine that the DSG box would have its own electronic controller, that would be a node on a CAN(data) network, and it would need to 'see' the engine ECU and instrament cluster as nodes, for it to work. (educated guess of course)

I have read the wiring diagrams for it, it interfaces with the abs/ESP/traction control unit, and the engine ecu...its a good job I have an R32 installed along with the 4motion abs/ESP/traction control unit then isnt it? ;)

Wiring it up shouldnt be a problem, I know where all the inputs need to be.

If it fails on me it would be a bit of a knacker like.

ive driven one very breifly and you will love it, but, everyone ive spoken to has had reliability issues from small glitches to replacement units.

Think Kev has some info on these iirc

impressed, but personally, and i know this is a giant controversy, but in my integra i honestly feel i could get through the gears faster than the DSG can... i guess the slight pause makes me think so... that and i'm a fast shifter... not saying i am the best or anything but i don't know or have seen anyone be able to shift faster than i can... but then it also goes to the other end of the specrum where the DSG easily outshifts people... but where i can or not, i feel if i can or come close i'd rather standard... but damn right if i bought a new GTI it'd be DSG and i'd wait for the launch control coming out late 2007!!!

The garage that's doing my DP has just finished an 25000 Euro AGP Turbo conversion on a TT 3.2 V6 with DSG.

It's now 575 bhp and 730 Nm. They didn't touch the DSG so guess it can take the power!

Dutch

thats nice to know!

If they have just finished it then keep an eye out for it coming back in with a bust box :D

oh yeh they say like 350hp at the crank is the most the DSG can take... i hear someone here in the states is making a kit tomake them stronger but rumored to make it handle 450hp to the wheels...

hmm... alright so i uh took a new GTI for a ride today wiuth a DSG and weird, it shifts faster than the A3 DSG i drove, no hesitation inbetween shifts like the A3 had... it was weird, but good!

if the rado in your avitar is your rado i would say you have a car you shouldn't be uh disappointed with? cause it looks damn clean and hell i've already spent near $5000 or uh... maybe like £2450 or so (and thats guessing on the exchange rate) to make my US spec corrado be comparable to the UK spec corrado stock... my corrado when fully done and all will look like one of your cars mainly... it's seriously disappointing but i can't bring one over... but i'll stop the rant now i'm disappointed and slightly uh intoxicated... so i'll end the drunken stuper now...

Just wanted to bump this. A friend of mine just bought today an Audi A3 2.0 TDI with DSG..

I'm absolutely amazed by it! Superb piece of technology! It still seems to suffer from the traditional automatic lag in a few situations, but the speed at which it changes gears does really take some getting used to - foot to the floor, and in the TDI, ride the wave of torque. Before you know it you're hitting 3 figure speeds.

Superb and suits the TDI fairly well - would like to see what its like a 2.0 FSI Turbo tho ;)