Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Crisis Not Over Anymore!

Ok, searched and am still confused so some help is needed! :cry:

My fans don't kick in till the water temp gets above 100c and are much louder (stage 2 kicking in?). It's as if stage 1 doesn't work anymore!

Please tell me its something cheap easy as I sooooo skint at the mo! :x

I've taken the black box out to have a look at it (the one near the expansion tank) and when I shake it theres something rattling inside???

WTF! Pulled the keys out of the ignition and the cars still running!!!!!!!

All I've done is check the little black box connected to the radiators!

Or disconnect the battery, same sort of thing happened to me on a mini I had, there was a solenoid in the wiring from the ignition switch to the Starter motor - it'd failed and so stayed switched open when the ignition was off. It even started itself once on the driveway!!

Dunno if the C's the same but worth a look, otherwise could be the ignition barrel/starter switch?

Hope you sort it dude.

I'd take the steering column cowling off and check out the wires under there. What is the little black box thing you unplugged? Is that cooling related? perhaps thats the solenoid I mentioned?? see if the ignition goes off if you unplug it again?

It's the fan control unit!

When I unplug the loom from the unit the car behaves normally! It must be keeping the ignition on somehow.

£91 from VW for the unit, or try and see if I can get one second hand.

That is funny :lol:

Im sorry mate, bet it was horrible at the time, but its funny now ;)

You get it sorted?

Just give me a price!

Been on 247spares so I know how much scrappers want.

Meant to be going to Hull tomorrow, guess I'll have to go in the missus 1.0 12v Corsa! :oops:

Ok, replaced the fan control unit with a brand new one which has solved the ignition problem.

The only trouble is my fans aren't kicking in. I left it running and turned the engine off when it got to 102c because the fans aren't coming on at all!

What else can I check? The fan unit & fuse are fine!

What's showing as 102? The oil temp (on the MFA) or the water temp??

Not sure if my fans are on when the oil is at 102.

is it a VR?

Have you checked/replaced the temp sender from the bottom of the radiator?

Fan thermoswitch?

( I can't believe a search didn't pull up that suggestion? )

:o

It's sat in the rad, and it lets the fan know how hot the rad is and when it needs to be turned on.

I have changed my rad thermo switch 3 times and still no fan comes on. After a search and advice from fellow 60 owners I was told there are relays behind the glove box if not ABS. Took my glove box out and no relays :?: In the end I wired my fan to a dash switch and all is well. I just click it on 1st sped at half way if in traffic and fast when hot and stationary works a treat.

I still don't know why it wont work by its self... Need a Bentley really to find out what the relays are for under the drivers side fuse panel.

hi

i had the same problem with the fan contr9ol module...it rattled too! easy just crack it open (a bit fiddly) all it is is a box with 4 relays in it and two diode type things just solder them back in as they get hot and drop out of the circuit board hence the rattle!

cured and saved a few quid!

andy