Sign in to follow this  
Henny

G60 lost 2 cylinders, aarrgghh!! help?

dirtytorque, nah, if I run it with a standard head, I'll have to do ANOTHER head gasket change, sourcing MORE 1H head bolts when I get the cash together to put another CNC head back on again... :roll: I'll just save up and do it all in one hit... and a few other tweaks while I'm in there... :ignore: although I'm seriously considering rebuilding the PG block that was in my Corrado originally into a 1940cc lump and using that to build my new madder engine around... :wink: :cuckoo: Thankfully I've only sold the top end of the engine (head, inlet, throttle, cam, FPR, fuel rail and injectors and the gearbox... although the gearbox was going to be sold to make way for something new anyway, so that's no biggie, I've just got to source funds for another CNC head, cam, injectors etc... :roll:

pete_griff, yup, it had all new springs, valves ('cos they were bigger!) guides and seals when it was done by CNC heads... The problem is that standard springs were used as they didn't know which cam I was going to use (neither did I at the time I paid for and picked up the head!) and they've been compressed to far, causing one to fail and the rest to become squished... Don't forget, this cam isn't just high lift, I had to have the head machined to clear the cam! it's a 1/2" lift on the cam!

There was no rattling, or any sign that anything was wrong, right up until it lost power, started miss-firing and the lotus finally got past me... :roll: :norty: :lol:

Supercharged, the CNC head quality isn't the problem... as above, it was the lift of the Newman cam that did for the springs... Mine looked very clean when Paul (Berno on Dubforce) picked it up... a little grubby, but certainly no corrosion... Compared to his RacePower "big valve" head, the CNC head was in a totally different league... the valves were considerably bigger on the CNC head and the ports were HUUUAAAAGGGEEE in comparison... the RacePower head looked like it hadn't had anything done to it by comparison!

I really had put it down to the block being dodgy and having let the tension off the bolts again causing the head gasket to go... So it really was a very bitter-sweet conversation with the heads' new owner yesterday as he revealed what was wrong... Thankfully, he's taken it very well and it's not damaged anything on his engine, so he's just going to replace the springs with some uprated ones and then get the car mapped... it's going to be a complete monster... you could really call it a Frankenstein engine as it's the bottom end of Blue_Joe's (Sam) 2031cc engine that was built by Racepower and the CNC head, Newman cam, redtops and CNC inlet manifold off my engine coupled with a G-werks big bore 4branch (something that Sam, Paul - the new owner, and I had not yet gotten around to fitting to our engines) so this thing won't just breath well, it'll be unreal! 8)

hmm.. following berno's(chap who purchased Blue Joe's engine) with interest.

The engine produces enogh torque to re-start a small planet,but it has had it's problems though. 8)

Anyway sounds like you still have the bug.

Fir play for carrying on with it.

you can't build an engine like Berno's (or mine for that matter) without some problems along the way... more so if you buy it like Berno did and don't entirely know what's inside the engine as you didn't spec it, but bought it as is...

At least this time around I'll know EXACTLY what's in my engine having identified the pistons and I'll have identified the crank too...

I'm just soooooo glad I didn't post up the for sale thread I was writing which had all my other good engine bits on it.... I'd never have been able to replace some of the bits I've got for her... :eek:

you can't build an engine like Berno's (or mine for that matter) without some problems along the way... more so if you buy it like Berno did and don't entirely know what's inside the engine as you didn't spec it, but bought it as is...

Indeed.These are pretty radical engines.

Btw please excuse my previous post,just read it back.Doesn't read well.I did got to school.I promise. :lol: