Sign in to follow this  
VR6

What do you think about the TVR Chimaera?

Mate of mine is considering getting one of these that's come up for sale over here.

It's a '99 with only 11k miles and it's a nice sky blue sort of colour. Apparently been garaged for life and serviced without fail. Not sure which engine as I understand they can have either a 4, 4.3, 4.5 or 5 litre powerplant.

Bit overpriced at £15k I think but it's a private sale through a garage and he thinks the owner will shift a bit on price.

Anything pointers/comments?

Half tempted myself to be honest!!

Pretty much the most reliable TVR ever produced - bulletproof Rover V8, the strongest being the 4 and 4.5 litre versions. I would not have said it was overpriced - with only 11k miles I would expect it to be virtually as new

I've a mate who runs one as his weekend car, the 4.0 version. Only been in it as a passenger and, as bcstudent says, its very very quick and isn't short of grip either.

Its also very thirsty and drinks oil almost as quickly as petrol.

My mate loves his, and is currently getting it prepared to export to Oz when he moves out there next year. He normally keeps cars for about 6 months before he gets bored so, to me, that suggests the Chimy must be sommat special.

Absolutely awful body control to be honest.

My bro's 5.0 scared the cr*p out of me most of the time - very very fast and loads of fun, but I would definately invest in some decent coilovers! :)

Reekie Vr on here has a TVR Chimera or Griffith and his C VR...........I'm sure he'll be able to fill ya in all you need to know

Get one with a Rover V8.. 4.0HC are the best ones. Brilliant fun and I love them!

I'd say go for thew 5.0 litre instead. More power :)

best sound on earth!

get the 4.3, best for torque but not as fragile as the 5 litre, which had lots of problems.

wont stop the rest of the car falling to peices everytime you walk past it though ;-)

My mate had a 4.0 litre chim and it was rapid. 240bhp in a car that is just over 1100kg = instant facelift. He never had a serious problem with it in the year and a bit that he owned it. Leaky windscreen and flat battery were the only 2 problems I knew about that were both easily sorted. Awesome sound and total head turner.

Services were expensive though and as you'd expect, drinks petrol like nothing I've ever been in.

Get one with a Rover V8.. 4.0HC are the best ones. Brilliant fun and I love them!

I'd say go for thew 5.0 litre instead. More power :)

No it over heats, a bit unrealible, but yeah it is mega quick. The 4.0HC is 285bhp though so thats pretty damn fast as the car only weighs 1100kg!

B