Sign in to follow this  
adamukcorrado

head gasket or cracked head...... (inc Pics)

ok, on investigating my mystery smoke problem i have found that the engine is blowing oil out behind the belt and altenator.

i have cleaned up the area (and taken some pics below) there is no clear flaw in the gasket or head (what you can see at least)

the head was put on fully reconditioned (looked really good condition)about 6 months ago which obviously included a new VAG gasket,

is there any way of telling between head and gasket without opening it all up again? if the head was cracked would it be visible? and is removing the head to explore a job only to be attemped by serious mechanic or could i do it??

i'm really considering cutting my losses and breaking it up and so i'm reluctant to run up another big bill just diagnoising the fault.

i had the head replaced to cure blue smoke on over run, had all valves and tappets etc replaced with new, could of (probably should of) put the old head back on, but at the time a head was avaliable so i had it reconditioned for a straight swap to reduce garage time.

i've never had any other head gasket problems, even now runs perfectly and uses no coolant, doesn't even use much oil considering it's decided to coat the engine bay with it!!

Ah ok so it didn't blow a gasket of anything...

TBH the pics don't look bad at all - could be just a blocked breather...

Maybe worth taking it back to where you had the work done for a check?

It's a bit more than a sweat of oil there, so is advisable to lift the head and see what's up, if you can be arsed. I suspect the gasket didn't seal especially well there. I know that some VW engines (especially the VR) seep oil there aswell because there's no head bolt in that area, so the clamping force is slightly reduced at that point.

thats the problem, i've just moved to manchester and always have used JMR in the past. he still has it for major works (500 mile round trip!!) and don't know any garages up this way yet.

where would oil be coming out of if a blocked breather? my alternator is now soaked with oil along with the BMC, so going on the location of the oil i took it to be coming from the location photo'ed

''I suspect the gasket didn't seal especially well there. I know that some VW engines (especially the VR) seep oil there aswell because there's no head bolt in that area, so the clamping force is slightly reduced at that point.''

thats a very interesting point kev, how much of a job is it to lift head off? i enjoy working on the car and will attempt most things but have been afraid of affecting timing and other such issues i thought would arise from taking head off?

''I suspect the gasket didn't seal especially well there. I know that some VW engines (especially the VR) seep oil there aswell because there's no head bolt in that area, so the clamping force is slightly reduced at that point.''

thats a very interesting point kev, how much of a job is it to lift head off? i enjoy working on the car and will attempt most things but have been afraid of affecting timing and other such issues i thought would arise from taking head off?

obviously they are all new VAG studs that where used, but is there a chance that a head stud isn't tight enough? as i've had alot of trouble with bolts not being tightened enough elsewhere on the car.

or would this cause more serious symtoms such as not running properly?

when we took mine apart, other than being worn from 98k miles of use, the same section as yours was weaping oil....just because it does....theres nothing holding the head together on that part of the engine.

mine seems to be more of an occasional blast of oil considering the amount of smoke that comes from under the bonnet and the residue thats left everywhere!!

only does it occasionally tho and still runs smoothly

Whip the head off and replace the gasket with a Victor Reinz one or a MK4 12V 3 layer gasket from VW (£50).

Clean up both mating surfaces well, don't bother with skimming. Just make sure the surfaces are free of the usual contaminants and bone dry, use alcohol or industrial glue thinners.

Replace the studs and use a really good, known accurate torque wrench. Halfords professional ones are very good if you need one quickly.

The head is simple to do, don't worry about the chains. Plenty of advice on here regarding that, it's very simple.

is it just above the altenator?

yes it seems to be from behind the altenator, both the altenator and belt are soaked, as is the CDA.

The head is simple to do, don't worry about the chains. Plenty of advice on here regarding that, it's very simple

so it's possible to lift the head without affecting the chains? or this it that the chains aren't a big problem to set up etc?

Nope, chains will be disturbed regardless, but I meant it's not a particularly challenging task to reset them as quite a few on here have done it now.

thanks kev, have used the search :oops: and found all the info in need, definately going to do it myself as want to learn and can't afford another major garage bill!

thanks for your help. :salute: