glen

late heater controls

A car valeter has finished off my heater controls!

he must of lent on them, as when i picked car up the dial had been pushed way past 4 and no longer works at all!

Arg! :mad: i new it was a bad idea...

do you think it is repairable or should look for some second hand replacments as i asume they cost a fortune from VW!

There is no point even pursuing it, I wouldnt get any were....

Would only waste my time and p!ss me off! (even more)

Lets just say they come from the east!

seat toledo's of the same age are exactly the same, usually cheaper than corrado ones.just make sure they are intact, where the clips hold the cables they sometimes snap off.also think passat one fit but you have modify it slightly, there's a thread on here that tells you how to do it.

i can do it & i'm a numpty! just take your time & you'll be fine. took me about 20 mins & that was me taking my time. from memory there's just 3 beldon cables to undo, i made sure i noted the position of each dial when i took each cable off & set the new control to the same position (if that makes sense) hopefully that way it'll work as it used to. remember which cable went where too coz it's easy to forget which one does what. also there's a couple of multi plug connectors that just pull off & push back on. think i just took the ashtray & cig lighter out then popped of the control surround & you have four screws to undo. bit tricky getting it out the hole but you just kinda put your hand under the ashtray & pull it out on an angle. be careful not to force it coz each corner has a bit of plastic that holds the fixing screws & they tend too snap quite easily! hope this makes sense coz i've done it arse about tit haven't i!

the cables are bowden cables i think - sorry for being pedantic ;) - when removing, just be careful. its very easy to snap the plastic of the control unit when removing the retaining clips for the bowden cables and slightly awkward attaching the cables and removing the units form the dash. also, careful you don't damage the dash plastic when removing the control as thats pretty femmer as well. Oh... and don't kink the cables as we all know that causes problems ass well cos when they're bent, they don't travell along the conduit and end up fecking the femmer palstic cogs.....

you can strip down the passat units for the cogs to repair a corrado unit

the cables are bowden cables i think - sorry for being pedantic

that's the word i was looking for! had my work head on when i was thinking about beldon! :oops:

stan 24v

the toledo i got my spare set out was an L reg so 93-94ish. it's the toledo that looks like a rounded mark 2 jetta. hope that makes sense!

Anyone know the age of the Toledo needed, and/or part number?

its obvious cos they look the same - ;) - some have a/c but that just lcicks off the bottom so not an issue. i think up to a similar year as the corrado - 96 - if you're enquiring by phone. as said earlier, you can strip down a passat unit and they're a lot easier to find

Heater control mechanism is part is from a '92 to '96 Toledo - 1L0 819 045A up to chassis no 500 and 1L0 819 045C from 500 onwards. God only knows what the difference is...

Chris.