Sign in to follow this  
ReekieVR

Milltek Zorst noise

Just got a new Milltek cat back. Fits perfectly thanks to Jim @ Star. I am finding it a bit boomy / noisy though. How much can i expect it to quieten down ( if any ) as it gets coked up ? Will the note change at all?

Would a new vw one be just a noisy whilst new? Is this 'cokeing up' a myth ?

my new one is a bit loud (not as loud as the Mongoose one it replaces) but it passed the MoT so it's not blowing. I also found that as the frequency is different, all my spare screws in the rear ashtray buzzed at certain revs, temporarily increasing my paranoia about my new exhaust. You probably just have to get used to the difference, alternatively crank up that stereo!!!! 8) :lol:

Doubtful it will get much quieter, they are just very loud exhausts on VR6's...

I went with Kevhaywire to the milltek factory to have his reffited as it was constantly knocking but after being re-welded it was still loud, extra middle silencer put in and it actually made it worse, complete new system refitted and drove back, noise at 70mph was ridiculous, new VAG system fitted a week later... the annoying thing was there was nothing wrong with his original one but it was destroyed taking it off...

Yep, cheers Steve, saves me the typing :-)

I suspect Reekie you're getting a resonant boom at around 70mph in 5th, 3000rpm ish? It gets worse the hotter the stainless gets.....it's a trait of stainless, not Milltek as such, but the thinner the stainless wall, the boomier it will get. This is why SuperSprint after 60 years in the business *still* use hybrid stainless and mild systems, purely because it's so much more refined. The VAG system is also a mild / stainless hybrid.

The only quiet aftermarket systems I've heard on the VR are SuperSpringOnion and Magnex. The Magnex on Dinkus and CrazyMarcel's cars were almost factory quiet, which hints at the quality of stainless they use.

i get a similar resonance, but don't mind it so much (4 cyl tho) usually drive at 80 tho, as it makes is more bearable. Honestly occifer