Sign in to follow this  
matt_corradovr6

COIL??

Over the last coupleof daysmy vr has been developing a bad mis fire. on checkiong the engine bay the leads were only loosely on the pugs. can they work loose over time as i put them on myself and they have been ok for 6 months.

finally tried to sort out prob with old leads i had kept to get me home, but still the misfire.

on inspection, no spark at the plug?? call recovery, takes lead off the coil and no spark from the coil pack on that lead.

whats the verdict and the cost guys???

:cry:

Is your coilpack the original? Did this misbehaviour start in wet conditions?

They do not seem to last for more than about 10 years when they develop hairline cracks in the plastic where arcing can then occur, particularly in the wet, resulting in misfire.

Test for arcing with the engine running by spraying coilpack area with a plant mister - you will see and hear it and the car will misfire.

CAUTION - Take usual safety precautions by not letting dangly bits of clothing/person get near belts/pulleys when doing this.

VAG charge about £250, last I heard.

I got mine from young guy who had paid about £170 at eurocarparts for it.

They are cheapest, I think.

I fitted it myself and I never do anything really complicated! Should take about half an hour.

Mechanical wizards on this forum will think we are real pussies talking about this job as if it was a big deal! :roll: :oops:

very easy! just undo the plastic covers, remove HT leads and then the 4 bolts securing the pack to the block.

Check out GSF as well for price - £125 I think, or short term option is get one from a breakers for £25 but run the risk of it being no better.

Yes, as Niges16v says - easy.

Pics show my new coil pack and four bolts that attach it, in place on their own.

You also disconnect the 6 plug leads (expect them to be tough to remove)and an electrical plug at top of coil pack.

Dont overtighten new coil pack - I reckon that could crack it. Not what you want to happen after shelling out for a replacement! (I did it with a new distributor cap about 30 years ago - you live and learn.)

Ignore shiny aluminium at back of and under coilpack in my pic - it is not standard.

I have attempted to insulate new coilpack with various mods to make it a last a bit longer. Cant vouch for their effectiveness, though.

Is it just a simple unplug plug sort of job??? also is there a better tool than the crap plastic one to pull the leads off with (ahem)?? who makes the coil?? will the gsf one be same quality as vw?? and beru leads am i right???

thanks guys :notworthy:

for some reason the misfire goes when the engine is cold but as soon as up to op[erating temp it spasrks again, and oddly the leads (itsonly been 1 or2, but the same ones) become loose on the plugs to the point where you can easily pull them off with one finger. Bear in mind that these are not new leads.

very easy! just undo the plastic covers, remove HT leads and then the 4 bolts securing the pack to the block.

Check out GSF as well for price - £125 I think, or short term option is get one from a breakers for £25 but run the risk of it being no better.

Don't bother undoing the plastic covers - if you're careful you don't need to.

You're in Sussex mate? There's a breakers near Worthing that will do a guaranteed coilpack for 40 quid.

I got mine from Murrays in Hatfield. £135 inclusive. Its Beru, which is the company that makes the VAG parts anyway, apparently. I would do what I have done, Plugs, leads then coilpack last. If its not any of them, then Im not sure what next. I hope I dont have to ask that question soon myself!

Good luck

vag.com showing sporadic lamda probe faults. how rough will this make it run??? will fuel economy go down due to this,i.e too rich. my pipes are very black out back suggesting its a bit rich

vag.com showing sporadic lamda probe faults. how rough will this make it run??? will fuel economy go down due to this,i.e too rich. my pipes are very black out back suggesting its a bit rich