Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Reflex silver Golf 4mo - pics added

mate its looking awesome, and I'll definitely be interested in seeing how the rear beam turns out as I'll be doing that myself in a few weeks.

Glad its all getting sorted. 8) 8)

Cheers guys, its not the hardest job really, im just taking my time, im goverened by daylight though as the light in my garage isnt the best.. Successfully got the compensator and bushes out tonight and they were definitely past it, they take a few good whacks with a big hammer to drop but its not too bad..

any recent purchases to mention? :D

Yes Fay, i did make a cheeky purchase today of a Magnex system so that will be going on very shortly....

Yes Fay, i did make a cheeky purchase today of a Magnex system so that will be going on very shortly....

WhoHoo finaly took the plunge then mate! Kip :lol:

Me too, putting a new VAG exhaust on soon so need to remove the beam.

I thought you had sold yours Adrian? Im sure i saw it on Pistonheads recently?

Heres a couple of pics of the rear beam now its off. Still need to remove the compensator and the bushes which ill be doing tonight. Beam is in decent shape, just a bit of surface rust which is to be expected. Itll be going off for a shot blast and a powdercoat and hope to have it back next week. Ill build it back up then with braided hoses and Mk4s and then itll be going back on..

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

Looking good there Goldie. Im looking to do exactly the same to mine soon. What new parts are needed apart from the obvious bushes etc?

Me too, putting a new VAG exhaust on soon so need to remove the beam.

I thought you had sold yours Adrian? Im sure i saw it on Pistonheads recently?

Well that was well spotted ! yes it was on for a couple of days before xmas. There was a bit too much interest in it at the time. Don't know if the price was wrong, but i certainly had a couple of jokers come round, just for a nose !

The car needs an MOT this month and tax and i will be doing an oil change this weekend. I'm a bit embarrassed to say the VR has only done 23 miles this year for various reasons. I intend to keep it for the summer and see what next autumn brings. She really needs someone to drive her more often and love her as much as i do !

Im going to try and change most things really so ive got (or am waiting for)

2 bushes.

new carrier bolts x4.

2 short solid brake lines that are on the beam.

Braded hoses for calipers and on the beam (4).

New compensator bolts (these are guaranteed to be a pain).

I think thats the lot, most of the other things, wheel bearings etc are fairly new so am going to re use. Im getting the beam and the dust shields powder coated while its all of which will probably take a couple of days..

There are more than a few bits that im not happy with on mine, i suppose its the trap of the better you make it the more fussy you get...

The front suspension will be getting the same treatment in a couple of months and then ill be happy with the underneath of the car..

Well it must be that time of the year, because guess what I'm doing this weekend..... well apart from cutting the lawn.... rear axle bushes, paint the beam and back plates etc etc. Did the comp valve last year and it wasn't a nice job, would have been far easier to take the beam off (with hindsight!).

Are you sure you don't fancy fitting an Eibach anti-roll bar whilst your at it? Seems a shame when it's all in bits :)

Yeh thats the fella!! Put a set on our MKIV Golf recently transformed the handling.

Oh Shaun..... I think I can see some left over dinner under you car :lol:

Quick update..

Got the beam back from the coaters and have built it back up with new lines, Mk4 rears new bolts etc. Big thanks to Geoff aka Phatvalver for lending a hand on sunday to put it all back together on the car. Just need new pads now which should arrive soon i hope as the last ones fell apart when i took them apart..

Road tax and exhaust fitting on Friday and then its hardcore cleaning time.. :)

then its hardcore cleaning time.. :)

Harewood 2006, seems like yesterday.

My how things have moved on :D

then its hardcore cleaning time.. :)

Harewood 2006, seems like yesterday.

My how things have moved on :D

Yeah it does Judith, i didnt really expect to get the bug this badly back then, oh well, i could spend loads of money and time on something else... :)

How did you get on with the rear bias valve and the bushes? Sorry, talking oily bits again :D

I can't believe just how bad the beam was on mine, it's cleaned up fine though.

The rear bias valve on mine looked like it was reasonably new, one of the bolts had to be drilled out so got some replacements..

The bushes were fiddly. I went to a garage and he lent me a tool he had made up to use with a screw thing, i ended up using it in a vice and they went in ok, needed an extra pair of hands to hold it level while was doing the pressing. The beam itself has cleaned up really well, its been done in a satin black powder so looks as good as new.

Ill launch some pics up when the exhaust is on as that is what is letting the underneath down now..

I did wonder if it was possible without a hydraulic press, not sure why I had so much trouble but it's done now. Satin black looks just right, nice and OE.

Looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard work at U-Dubs.

Yeah am looking forward to it Dave, should be a good weekend..

My old man is coming along so no mention of any spending, he loves cars but thinks i am "neurotic"... :)