Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

Autotrader story

That deserves to be on here, as Im sure the page wont last forever 8)

Anyone know the car they used???

Look at the Wheels on That: Volkswagen Corrado

07 September 2006

Look at the Wheels on That: Volkswagen Corrado Front wheel drive cars are rarely regarded as true drivers' cars. The steering is always affected by the power being transmitted through the wheels.

But every now and then, a front wheel driver appears that is so staggeringly good, it becomes a better steer than many of the world's finest supercars. Stuart Milne says Volkswagen's Corrado is such a car.

When Volkswagen stopped building its excellent Scirocco coupe, fans the world over were crying into their beer glasses.

It had been VW's stalwart coupe for almost two decades, and with a disappointing Mk3 Golf GTi already on sale, the legion of Veedub feared they would be without a cool coupe for the first time since 1955.

They needn't have worried, because Volkswagen pulled out all the stops to build the sensational Corrado.

It looked amazing - and still holds up as a design icon today - and was even better to drive.

The Corrado's sweet chassis could forgive a driver's lack of talent and make them look like a racing superstar.

There was a wide range of engines, but the one to have was always the stonking 2.9-litre VR6.

Its power - on paper at least - wasn't earth shattering, with just 190bhp being pushed through the front wheels, but the lightweight 'Rado could clock 60mph in under 7 seconds and max out at 130mph.

The Corrado's V6 engine is still one of my favourites. At full chat, it manages to sound silky smooth and menacing all at once. Stick on a sports exhaust, like many owners, and it's as manic as a Jimi Hendrix guitar solo at 78rpm.

The stumpy coupe featured a cool electric spoiler, which would rise up as the speed increased to maintain high speed stability, without ruining the car's flowing looks.

In fact, if there's one thing that lets the Corrado down, it’s the interior. Time hasn't been kind to the Mk3 Golf-sourced dash, with a curious blend of straight edges and curves and a bizarre concave steering wheel centre.

It's better in the back though - if not a tight squeeze - where two bucket seats are connected by a huge armrest. The Corrado is strictly a four seat affair.

But we're really nitpicking here. No one buys a Corrado VR6 for the plasticy interior. They're bought for the looks, handling and that incredible engine.

Given all this, you won't be surprised to learn Corrados sell for a lot of cash. Early models can be had for about £2,000, but the last-of-the-line VR6 Storm models fetch more than £6,000.

Buy one, and be safe in the knowledge you've bought one of the best handling cars ever made.

Good for 130mph? What about the rest? :)

obviously getting the VR6 confused with the G60 there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ............*dons flamesuit*

obviously getting the VR6 confused with the G60 there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ............*dons flamesuit*

:lol: G60 Storms are even faster :lol:

Just read the story in full, very good and relly impressive but still not has good as a 205 GTI :wink:

allegro is for pimpin rodders, the roll cage would interfere with the walnut tables :lol:

and with a disappointing Mk3 Golf GTi already on sale.. in 89?

but the one to have was always the stonking 2.9-litre VR6... what about before it was launched?

Time hasn't been kind to the Mk3 Golf-sourced dash... i never knew it was from there!

nice to see the rado mentioned though :lol:

indeed, i've done well over that in my standard VR :)

i like the bit which says

The Corrado's sweet chassis could forgive a driver's lack of talent and make them look like a racing superstar. :D

Done more than 130MPH in my old G60 thanks Rodders! ;)

Nice spot on the story - its currently second item down on the front page! Shame we couldn't write to the author and ask him to link to the Corrado Forum! :)

*edit* - ah found his address - I might drop him a line!

Just read through the article, Makes me proud to be a Corrado owner!!!

Forwarding to all my mates who own French and Jap cars with no character whatsoever....

I think the next move from a Rado would need to be a Porsche.......

Hold your heads up high fellow Rado owners....that article has put a smile on my face even if some of the info is incorrect...130mph, yeah right!!!

Nice read - but they seem a bit hazy on the dates though - rooc's were still being sold in numbers during 1992...bit of an overlap there.

Yeah apart from the slight inaccuracies with respect to phasing out the Mk2 Rocco and start date sales of the C, it's a perfect article.

Nice avatar there Ryan :-)

Tempest

Nice avatar there Ryan :-)

I managed only 1 summer of owning 2 mk1 rocco's

Trouble was - nothing to drive when it rained!!!

(I had to beg for the girlfriends Corsa)

vr6storm, my ddi guages dont show KPH.. :p

:lol:

ahhh in that case you've obviously wired them up wrong :wink: :lol: :lol:

Aha - the Autotrader editor emailed me back - he's put a link to the forum after my polite request! Sweet :D