Sign in to follow this  
Whitedog

200,000 miles, would this put you off?

Hi all

Got the option to purchase a 1993 vr6 corrado with 200k on the clocks. Has fsh to go with it. Would this figure put you off buying it or not???

Cheers

Wouldn't put me off if the price and history was right.

Have the chains and tensioners been done? Would be definitely worth budgeting for them if they haven't been sorted yet.

I think generally a lot of the higher mileage ones (that have been looked after) can be a better buy because the things that need replacing have often already replaced. Although I'm sure there's an awful lot of sheds out there that will bite you in the ass.

depends what sort of work has been done. At 200k I would expect the timing chains and clutch to have been done. If not I would probably walk away but that is just because I dont know how to do it myself.

Also depends on the price they they are looking for, Gut feelings, but mostly what might need to be done.

by the looks of it the "highest" bidder is perhaps a mate bidding it up(unless of course it is yourself)

if that list of bits has been fitted then i can't see why you should be too wary provided the price is right........it appears its been no expense spared looking after it...........the rev counter tho could be a costly thing to fix

No thats not me, and yeah it does look like a mate of his. they only joined ebay about two weeks ago.

Suppose it depends on whether its a faulty rev counter or faulty wiring. Cant understand how vw never managed to fix it though. Reckon if i offer him the grand he'll probably take it if it is his mate upping it.

Without sounding like a car snob. what can you really expect from a car that costs a grand. If things do go wrong then the saving you have made on the car in the first place should be enough to sort it.

I would be wary buying a valver for a grand, let alone a 3 litre V6.

Yeah, i dont mind having to spend the rest of my budget getting the things sorted that need doing, i was just concerned that once i'd sorted everything what problems i'd have due to the high mileage.

The rattle from cold concerns me a bit (chains???) but then again it could just be an exhaust shield thats come lose.

200k miles is 8 times around the world. At the equator. (If that were possible..)

Dunno mate, when a car gets over 100k the mileage becomes irrelevant and the wad of receipts and the car's general condition takes over.

150k or 500k isn't important - it's what's been replaced, and what condition the bodywork/chassis is in that matters.

If its had a reconned cylinder head does this mean it would of had the timing chains done also??

Anyone???? ^^^^^^

Yeah, know what your saying dr mat, 8 times round the world eh...ha ha.

Where is the rattle from cold coming from?

To be honest I'm not too sure about that one. It's cheap but it's a bit rough. I'll sell you my blue one as it is for 1.7 and thats only got 81,000 on it! :)

If its had a reconned cylinder head does this mean it would of had the timing chains done also??

Anyone???? ^^^^^^

Yeah, know what your saying dr mat, 8 times round the world eh...ha ha.

Don't think so. I think the chains can be taken off for the head job, then stuck back on without being replaced?

I'm probably wrong though.....

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

1.7k is with no MOT and a hole in the downpipe. I have a downpipe for it though.

EDIT: It's just failed an mot on headlights (already changed em) and emissions. I'm guessing the emissions is down to the hole in the downpipe as most other things have been eliminated. I have another cat if that one is shagged too :)