VRTrickster

VR6 still running rough ,lumpy idle and cut out etc

I have wiped the errors off once the lamba wire was fixed and their still showing up, i have also disconected the battery, the faults still show up!

Well the car seems to be running rather well at the minute and idle is acceptable given that Ive fitted high lift cams and lightened flywheel etc.

I'm still going to check the fuel pressure and comp test it the weekend, it will then be ready for the stealth remap YES!

The car hasn't cut out the last couple of times Ive been out, when it normally would have!

The custom remaps really going to tie it all together I think, and I'm hoping for a considerable increase on my standard 204 bhp 189 lb ft.

if ur running cams without a remap this could be a big part of the problem im running 268 cams on my obd2 golf (stock flywheel) and it drives and idles perfectly even BELOW tickover (16mph in 5th is smooth and easily drivable)

yes iv had a custom remap i basically ran the new cams and tappets in didnt drive it hard when i got to mrc (who did the remap) he did a fats test which is 4k to 6200 rpm in 3rd it came out at 9.7 secs iirc after the remap it was 9.1 and the limiter was reset to 6800 he did remove the limiter once and i bottled it when the needle went off the 7k rpm clock lol apparantly it went to 7100 and was still making power hehe

Ive been running my setup for a little while now ,and I cant say Ive been driving softly lol! I dont do a lot of miles though.

Really cant wit to get a map done, its a lot of money but its going tobe worth every penny I bet!

Just out of interest how much did you remap cost ,and Im sorry what is a fat test?

fat test is a timed run from 4k to 6500 rpm in 3rd gear a golf vr limiter cuts in at 6200

iirc it was approx £400 but it IS worth every penny as much for piece of mind that the fueling is spot on as much as the power gain

After i thought mine was ok after fixing lamba wire, it gone back to its usual tricks, stalling at junctions, idle dipping. grrrrr im not sure where to start!

Have you checked the isv and cleaned it? After replacing mine it know starts fine and doesn't cut out which is good! Mine was seized almost shut and had about a 3mm gap! I did also replaced a few other things i.e ecu relay, cam position sensor and cleaned the terminals on the fuel pump relay. I think the isv was the main culprit though, but your problem could be something different.

The trouble with cutting out is it can be caused by a number of things, so if it doesn't come up on the vag com its really a process of elimination I'm afraid.

Right Im really not happy !! After forking out on a fancy head re build, which I must say is amazing, really f-ing flys now, the car still has the same running problem were it idles lumpy and cuts out regular !

I plugged it into vag com last night and it still showed the same readings of 3.90 to 4.10 for the injector on time, which ive been told is the ecu is over fuelling!

Could a weak fuel pump cause these problems? How about the ecu relay ?

Ive booked the car into vince on the 8th for the remap, but I thimk Ill have to call him and let him know how its running!

Well I may see you there kevHaywire, but I'm sure somethings not right! Do you think I should be trying to sort this problem out before I take it to Vince, or do you think it could be to do with the mods? This is really getting to me now and Ive been thinking about pushing it off beachy head !! :mad:

I have changed the ECU relay, do you think that a faulty pump relay would cause lumpy idle, and the cutting out?

If Vince cant map it because of this problem I may even have to pay him to diagnose it for me, and forget about the remap until its sorted !

Dunno if this will help as an idea or is just al oad of rubbish, but is the standard fuel pump upto the task??? A friend of mine had fuelling probs when he had a nova sr with 2 litre engine conversion on 45's (kin quick and only with astra brakes!!! now he has vr6 rado) and had to use a facet red top pump and fuel pressure regulator to flow enough fuel.

What was the problem in the end? Mine's doing the same and I've also been swapping parts back and forth to find the cure.

Hi mike. I have a 2.016v i also had a lot of problems with stalling. I replaced a lot of electrical points in the engine bay and stopped the stalling problem now i just have irradic Idling. :mad: