Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

VR6 lack of power

Hi guys,

Need some advice. Ive just got a VR6 and found out its misfiring. Its "ticky" and theres no power when i put my foot down, even with foot to the floor (in 3rd). When revved you can hear it back firing. Its also idling very lumpy and at aroung 500rpm maybe a tad less. It looks as though the coil pack has been replaced and the HT leads replaced, Champions, are these shoite leads?

Took it to a trustworthy garage and booked it in to be hooked up to the computer. Whats the next step IF this doesnt show anything?

Sorry if this is a lame question, first time ive owned or driven a VR.

Cheers all!

if its a 1992 VR and it still got its original engine it should be distributor rather than coil-pack equiped

its possibly needing a new dizzy cap and plugs..........best to use NGK for the plugs btw

oh and the VR idles at a fairly low-ish 650rpm(so looks only 500 on the counter)

Cheers for the response vr6storm. Yeah sorry its a 1992 VR. So fitting new plugs could fix the problem?

Where can i get NGK plugs, German and Swedish? and how much?

it could do......and it might not..........but its a relatively cheap and easy thing to try first.......best to get it scanned on VAG-COM as well in case a sensor is fluffed

the ngk platinums will cost you about £10 each but you can get away with cheaper non plat versions I believe.

and which is cheaper? On that link they were £3 odd per plug. Worked out at £26 inc delivery. Oh and which HT leads are recommended. There is champion ones on at the moment, Ive been advised that theyre shoite.

or any VW main dealers with a parts department

last time i asked for a price for VR6 plugs from my local Stealers they wanted £20ea!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Halfords only wanted £30 for a set of 6 at the time and they were the exact same NGK's as what the stealers had

that was for the platinum ones btw............tho it was also approx 4yrs ago

I've not got Iridium plugs courtesy of Kevhaywire........to save changing them every cpl of years 20k

2 pages and no one has suggested a VAG-COM / VW TOOL scan! LOL!

I know of a car that runs just like that and a scan shows up an ECU fault, relating to the ECU itself.

You really need to hook it up, so to speak, to see what the ECU is complaining about, if anything. If it's apparently happy, the rest is easy - just basic fault finding as per any engine.

Yes, champion leads are poo.

Cheers kevHaywire, as mentioned in my first post it is going to be hooked up to the VAG-COM sometime next week. But wondering what it could be before i get chance to hook it up. So is it possible for the leads to short? What leads are recommended?

You'd know if the leads were shorting due to the fireworks at night!

The best leads are the factory ones believe it or not. I won't bore you with the reasons why, but they are, simple as that! Downside - they're not cheap!

If you're good at haggling, you can reach the max discount and hit £90 inclusive, but if you're dealer is feeling tight and uncooperative, you're looking at £120 all in.

you can also get the Quantum branded ones from VW for around £60 a set..........I had them on mine for close enough 2yrs with no probs whatsoever............only changed mine due to a mate getting a good deal on 2 sets of some american hi-power leads.......can't remember their name tho :oops:

I am told, though haven't compared side-to-side, that C+R Enterprises can sell you a full set of OE VR6 leads with factory ends for about £60. Only they're in black, not red.

PLUS I note that if you do a search you'll find Mr Kev espousing the virtues of Blue Igniters back in 2003! We always said OE was best at the time, but it's taken him a while to come round to our way of thinking.. ;)

LOL! If I had the inclination, I'm sure I could also trawl through and dig up things you've said in the past - and since changed your mind about too! Such as stock airboxes all the way, and then later fitting a K&N cone (not that you publically disclosed it) :lol:

I suppose you're going to trawl through and find some comments about me saying how cr@p turbos are and Superchargers all the way now, eh? ;-)

Thing is mate, I don't type things and worry about people quoting me on it me on it 3 years later, LOL!! I think the forum has gathered by now how fickle I am ;-)

Anyway, the Blue igniters are certainly the best I've seen in the aftermarket.

LOL! If I had the inclination, I'm sure I could also trawl through and dig up things you've said in the past - and since changed your mind about too! Such as stock airboxes all the way, and then later fitting a K&N cone (not that you publically disclosed it) :lol:

I removed it aswell after three months, cos it was a laugh, but frankly it did nothing for the performance and I got bored of the sound..

I suppose you're going to trawl through and find some comments about me saying how cr@p turbos are and Superchargers all the way now, eh? ;-)

I don't have time .. but I'm sure I could if I tried.. ;)

UPDATED: bad news :( :( :(

Finally changed the leads, no improvement. So i changed the plugs also, the old plugs were black as hell, all 6 of them. But there was a slight improvement in power, although after been told what ive been told ive taken it real easy.

I noticed that it had used a lot of oil in the last month, but no signs of a leak. Anyway, after seeing the old plugs come out of the car i took them up to a garage i know. I was told it's burning oil and it could be the piston rings or oil could be getting in via the air intake. If it was the piston rings that had gone surely it wouldnt happen on ALL 6 pistons... what are the chances of that!

Any ideas how the oil is getting into the cylinder and am i looking at a big bill!?