Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Porsche 911 Carrera - Page 8

Yip it's a good job, get ya website sorted and post it around all the forums and i'm sure there will be some takers, try the Merc and Porsche forums etc as they will think less of the money and will appreciate it more than these £3000 cars generally i'd have thought, i think £5 is dear to wash my car but i won't take it through a carwash, prefer to get it hand washed so at least i care that much and if money was less of a restriction then yes, i'd employ the occassional professional to do what you do!

Chris

you`ve gotta pay good money to get a good job done cos its bloody hard work!!

this morning i`ve just had a bit of a session on my car:

degrease engine

degrease wheelarches

clean wheels

rinse car

wash car (top then bottom + door/boot shuts)

dry car

clay

rinse car

wash car (top then bottom + door/boot shuts)

dry car

meguiars scratch-x, buff with microfibre twice

meguiars step1 paint cleaner, buff with microfibre twice

meguiars step2 polish, buff with microfibre twice

meguiars step3 wax, buff with microfibre twice

clean glass

rain-x glass

autoglym/turtlewax all trim/tyres

open beer!

haven`t even looked inside yet as it`s starting to rain :roll: tomorrow i suppose...

took me 4hrs with a couple of cig breaks

if i was gonna do that on someone elses car i`d want at least £100 if i was using my own products etc...

Have to totally agree with Roddy, and the others who've sided with the valeters really. To be honest i'm amazed that valeters in the local area seem to charge such small amounts for the work they do.. I look at the cost of good quality car wash & other detailing products, the consumables used, plus the cost of them getting to you to do the work, and then of course the hourly rate and just don't know how they do it for the money.

I think its bloody hard work for not a lot of money quite frankly and I know I wouldn't have the patience to do it day in, day out - I like cleaning my car but thats about it - I couldn't do it every day!

nice job andy, you could eat your dinner from those arches :D

the more of these threads I see the more I appreciate the quality of the kit and experience valeters have. Fair play.

ben16v, nice work ben I'd have been gasping for a pint after getting the hose pipe out (pfnarr pfnarr ;))

Have to totally agree with Roddy, and the others who've sided with the valeters really. To be honest i'm amazed that valeters in the local area seem to charge such small amounts for the work they do.. I look at the cost of good quality car wash & other detailing products, the consumables used, plus the cost of them getting to you to do the work, and then of course the hourly rate and just don't know how they do it for the money.

I think its bloody hard work for not a lot of money quite frankly and I know I wouldn't have the patience to do it day in, day out - I like cleaning my car but thats about it - I couldn't do it every day!

Why thankyou very much, shame most of the customers dont show this much gratitude - theyre too rich and lazy to bother LOL...which is also the ideal customers...cant have it all i suppose LOL.

i just got home from doing 3 cars today.. nothing major paintwork wise.

but i did have a very appreciative customer which makes it nice. It must have been the dirtiest car i have ever done. probably never washed since new.

Jim is right... its not brilliant money at the end of the day... what you end up with in your back pocket isnt much after products (especially if your using half decent ones not the cheap crap they often have at £5 hand job places), petrol, tax, insurance (are hand job places insured for up to 1million???) etc etc... which is why it gets a bit disheartening sometimes when people start going on about the prices.

It does get on my tits when people say something like this.

I mean, for god sake, dealers charge £60 AN HOUR! A plumber, around £50-£75, joiners, sparkies etc.

You get what you pay for, go to the albanian car wash for £5 and thats what you get!

It does get on my tits when people say something like this.

I mean, for god sake, dealers charge £60 AN HOUR! A plumber, around £50-£75, joiners, sparkies etc.

You get what you pay for, go to the albanian car wash for £5 and thats what you get!

I'm sure that wouldnt be the case if you had to call them out monthly, where as everyone needs a car clean fortnightly, monthly 6 times a year etc. 100.00 a month for a standard valet and wax????

With my work, the big expensive jobs are one off or 6 monthly ones. I tend not to do many 'quick' wash's, rather i try to educate people on how to maintain the look and finish i give them with the big job.

Exactly. That job I did for £80 was a one off. Wouldn't need a clay bar and full wax every month!

As I've said before, the client tells me what they want and I tell them how much. Like many other industries, they get a quote based on hourly rate and materials.

Had a 306 GTI-6 come to me today. Harry wanted it de-swirling and made nice and shiny! No interior work but the engine bay was to be cleaned as well.

Here's some pre-clean pics. You can see the swirls and scratches. Some scratches were quite deep but as I was without a paint depth gauge I didn't want to go far. The wheels could also do with a clean Harry! :)

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

Here's a pre-clean pic of the engine bay.

05.jpg

We started off by giving the wheels and arches a good blast with the Karcher and then cleaned the wheels with AutoGlym Engine & Machine Cleaner. Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner was sprayed throughout the arches and scrubbed clean.

Following that we moved onto the engine bay. Once again using AG Eng & Mach Cleaner. Squirted that all over and agitated with a brush before gently hosing down. Here's a pic of the nice clean engine bay!

07.jpg

After that we could finally start cleaning the bodywork. First we hosed the car down and then using Lambs Wool Wash Mitts and 2 buckets (one with soapy water and one with clean water to rinse the mitt with) we give the car a good clean. To make sure any previous wax was removed before the machine polish the car was sprayed with Megs APC before washing.

The car was now clean! Or so Harry thought! The car was given a good going over with a clay bar. Meguiars to be precise.

This is a picture of one of the clay bars after doing about 1 sq foot of the roof!

06.jpg

After the whole car was clayed it was washed once more with AG Car Shampoo and the Lambs Wool mitts.

To dry the car we give it a quick spritz with Meguiars Last Touch whilst wet and used a synthetic chamois to dry it off. The cars bodywork was very smooth now, even though there was no wax on it yet! :)

Just one more step was needed before I broke out the Porter Cable and that was to mask up all the plastic trim to stop any accidental marking. Blue goes well with Black don't you think!

09.jpg

Now it was time to start de-swirling the car. Initially started using Meguiars Swirl Remover but didn't seem to do much so moved onto something a little more abrasive, Megs #83. It certainly reduced the swirls and scratches considerably, even holograms were removed. If I'd have had the Paint Depth Gauge I'd have probably broke out the harsher Menzerna. I used Sonus SFX pad's with the PC and was happy with them.

Here's me in action! Harry also did a good part of the car with the PC.

08.jpg

We went over the whole car, some parts needing several passes and were happy with the result! I thought I'd give Clearkote Moose Glaze a try and I was definately happy with the result! Applied with the PC it give the black a deeper shine.

Following that, we applied Meguiars #16 Professional Paste Wax with applicator pads and took it off with some more Microfibres. AG Fast Glass was used on the the windows and AG Vinyl & Rubber care on the plastic trim, after we removed the 3M Blue tape of course!

Bubblegum smelling Rim Wax was used on the alloys and gave them a new lease of life!

The result was a deep reflective shine that I'm very pleased with and I believe Harry was too!

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

OMG, For a second then I thought the turqoise was some kind of hideous styling!

ardandy, does the de-swirling last permenantly? Or a few weeks down the line will some of the swirls reappeared?

Good job! :)