Sign in to follow this  
markievw

corrado battery?

I have a corrado vr6. I havent started the car for about 3 weeks now. I have charged the battery for over 6 hours, but still car wont start!

Think it might be the battery, how do i check it is before i buy a new one.

The radio does work which is confusing!!

What is the biggest battery i can get away with.

cheers in advance of any advice

mark

I think if you take your battery in to Halfords ( or somewhere like that ) they'll test it for you and tell you whether it's knackered.

Do the headlights come on?

do you get ignition lights?

lots of questions dont presume its the battery and why did it go flat?

New battery is an easy fix but try and find out why it went flat.

I suspect one of the cells has dried out. Has your battery got removable cell caps? If so, unscrew them and check the water level, might just need topping up!

If it's sealed, might be replacement time, especially if the voltage is less than 12 after 6 hours of charging. What current did you charge it at? If it's really low, then an overnight charge is sometimes needed.

The radio will work as it draws significantly less current than the starter motor.

If it's gone completely flat you might need to put it on overnight at low charge amps. High charge amps on a flat lead acid battery can destroy it.

Get your voltmeter out and tell us what the volts reading is across the terminals. If it's less than 12 there's little chance it'll start the car. If it's less than 11 you have at least one dry cell. If it's a dry cell you might, as Kev says, just need to top it up with distilled water. But then it'll need a nice trickle charge. Overnight should do it.