Sign in to follow this  
twan

IS THERE HOPE?

Being a new member, and a recent addict, I have a question to ask you all -- but first my issue: I LOVE the corrado. however, being on a budget, I am feeling like I am going to jump into an endless abyss of debt by buying a corrado. I posted earlier on this thread about a corrado that I spotted locally (80,000k, $8,900 us, many repairs already with receipts, always with synthetic oil changes). It looks and runs great. BUT, what if there is a problem!?!? (i.e. compression, head gasket, bearings)

THE QUESTION:

Does anyone have a great corrado and hasn't had to pay an arm and a leg to upkeep it?

REASSURE ME! I wanna get this car because I believe that it will be worth the money, not a trap that'll suck all of my life and funds away from me!

Thanks all!

there's no reassurance. i've had mine 2 yrs and ive never been able to fully enjoy it because of other financial obligations. if you dont have the cash to maintain a porsche i wouldnt think of a corrado as a dailt driver unless it was owned by a real enthusiast or you're feeling damn lucky.

it *will* suck your funds.

Corrados, regardless of engine are quite expensive anyway due to the fact the parts arnt so mass produced as other cars, and the fact they are a sports car only drains more money from your pocket, i have a 1.8 16v and its already cost me close to £100 to get it serviced and little bits sorting in 1 month of ownership and 2000m miles, you wont be disapointed by the car if you get a good one, good luck with it all.

£100? Is that all? ;)

I ended up spending around £2000 in my first year of ownership - it left me no money to sort any cosmetic things out at all and I was never happy with the state of the car.

They are demanding cars. But rewarding :)

up until i started modifying my car the upkeep had been cheaper than my previous astra gte

2 years and no bills only servicing off course

fitted a chip and pulley and ever since ive been chucking money at it trying to solve one prob after another

my advice look for a good one and leave it alone

funky

I pay roughly £600 a year to keep my Corrado running smoothly and looking mint, which I don't think is too bad for a 8 year old performance car. That doesn't include the £1000 on insurance mind :shock:

If mine is not being maintained its being added too, so there is always something burning a hooe in my pocket corrado related

Likewise G60Jet I'd say I spend an average of £75 a month on adding to or maintaining my Corrado.

Every man needs a hobby, least that's what I tell the Missus. :wink:

I've had my G60 fro nearly 6 years noo. Its never let me down but I've spent loads on it mostly mods though. If you want a cheap runner a C is not fir you.

Sandy

If you just want to run the car and enjoy it, you need to differentiate from the critical 'must dos' and the 'nice to haves'.

Until you get to the know the car like the back of your hand, every single noise will have £££ signs flashing in your mind.

I've ploughed literally £1000s into my VR6 over 7 months. Most of it was not needed but purely to satisfy my own appetite for perfection. In all honesty, the car would still be running fine now in the same condition I bought it. The Corrado seems to be the VW fans' Nemesis. A lot of people seem to be afraid of it's potential running costs.

But look at the basics. It's a MK2 Golf with a few fancy bits. Every single problem I've had has been cureable and many have been done by myself, which is a great learning curve.

My advice is to take the plunge, don't think about the future 'what ifs' and just enjoy it.

My friend bought a WRX subaru impreza and he had more problems with that than I'm every likely to encounter on my VR6. But he still loved it. Sure the Corrado is a tempetuous little madam at times, but aren't all the best relationships stormy (pun intented!) ??

Kev

HI,

These guys are right, there not cheap to run but anything approaching 10 years old is going to need some work on weather it's a corrado or something else, but some corrado bits are just a "bit" exspensive.

If i was you i would go for a 16v instead of a G60 or Vr6- there not particulary fast but it would be cheaper to run than it's two bigger brothers.

And trust me the Corrado isnt the most exspensive car to run - I have a 1984 Vw Cabriolet that costs more thatn a third world country to run! :?

HI,

If i was you i would go for a 16v instead of a G60 or Vr6- there not particulary fast but it would be cheaper to run than it's two bigger brothers.

The 16V is a good all rounder. Bomb proof engine and all the fun and handling qualities of it's more powerful brothers.

I've had numerous 16Vs over the years and they're not cheap or easy to get lots of power out of, so opted for the VR as it's the only VW engine I've not had experience of until now and has a reasonable output as standard.

And trust me the Corrado isnt the most exspensive car to run - I have a 1984 Vw Cabriolet that costs more thatn a third world country to run! :?

I too have had other cars that cost more to run and maintain than a Corrado. Try running a 10+ year old E30 BMW 325i on a budget and they drink loads more petrol than the VR6 does :?

Kev

i was used to it from the start. my first car was a 2 litre vw bay camper.

in 12 months the engine was rebuilt 3 times.

2 recon gearboxes fitted (not together!)

then there was the repair work for the mot's!!

it was on the road for about 3 months each year.

it was fun though and great for s****** in :twisted: and i still sold it for more than i paid for it!

*****please remember that there could be younger people reading this :wink:*****

Again, my car before my C' VR6 was a mk2 Gti that had been shagged... spend 4.5K keeping it on the road/bringing it back to its original condition in 3 years....

And just as I'd got all sorted.. I decided to buy a Corrado!.. talk about heart over mind!.. so in my books if it costs less than £600-900 per year to maintain and service.. I'm laughing.........

Name a performance car for under £10k that you don't need to spend any additional money on, other than routine wear and tear items....

It would be nice if he could get a 16V but as he is in Seattle, I think he'll be 'stuck' with a G60 or VR.

You have to figure that either is going to be approaching 10years old, if not older. You need to buy wisely or suffer the cost of catching up on 10 years worth of neglect.

With a G60 you need to see evidence of a charger rebuild or you want that off the price to start with. Kompressor Kanda can sort you out 'locally' with that. I'd check for advice on http://www.vwvortex.com . I reckon you would find someone local to you, who would lead you down the right road.

Cant comment on VRs tho having never owned one

Gavin

All this is super helpful guys; I really appreciate the feedback. At this point I know that if I were to be driving something else (i.e. sport fitted, rear wheel drive miata -- my brother wants me to get one SO bad -- iiiiccchhhh :? ) I know that I would not be happy cause it aint a corrado. Unfortunately, there are no 16v around here at all, but I have driven a 16v jetta ('92) at it seemed fun and sporty. But still no corrado. This one that I'm looking at is in cherry condition and has a lot of maintainence. I will see what I can do to get it. thanks for your advice guys, and it's good to hear SOME positive stories! Keep 'em comin if you got 'em!

cheers,

Ethan

Spent nearly £4000 on my G60 since buying it in April this year. Mostly on mods, wheels/tyres, alarm & stereo equipment. In addition to that, I spend around £150 per month on fuel and the same again on insurance.

The enjoyment, for me, is having a very individual car which looks good, handles well & has plenty of power.

So your costs have been mostly in mods, as opposed to repair? That's reassuring. I already knew that I would want to do mods. It's just the repair stuff that scares me. I don't want my car to die in the middle of the road (been there!) Those are the horror stories that I am worried about.

~E

Twan, you should PM spoier on this forum as his location is down as seattle,and he's also recently bought a Corrado that has needed some cash spending on it.....you never know he might be able to give you some pointers etc on what to look for etc

If mine is not being maintained its being added too, so there is always something burning a hooe in my pocket corrado related

i will double that although mine as been exceptionally well behaved so far TOUCH WOOD...

only thing is when a corrado goes wrong it normally goes wrong with a big bill, if not parts most def labour

Only repair costs incurred have been a supercharger rebuild, which I was aware of when I bought the car, and brake disks & pads all round.

I've changed the suspension although the original stuff would have lasted a while longer.

What you will have to be aware of is that you will be buying what is essentially an "old" car and you must always be aware that some parts will need replacing. You'll need to make sure that if you buy a G60 that the charger has been serviced - with certificate or invoice to prove it. Make sure there are no oil leaks - could be expensive depending on where the oil is leaking from.

It's usually better to spend slightly more money buying a well looked after car than a cheap "bargain" which needs a pile of cash spending on it.

Had my VR6 for just over two years and apart from running costs and silly fuel bills I've a couple of hundred pounds worth of repairs. I don't find it bad at all and it's a very reliable car.

You will spend fortunes on mods though. :lol:

GRINGOG60, p*** on my bondie why dont ya, i think my cars quite quick, well guess itll have to do until the insurance companys keep me on the line when i ask for vr6 insurance instead of hanging up, still quicker than most equivilant cars of its capacity on the roads today, p***** all over my m8s brand new corsa sri :D