Sign in to follow this  
Rick_ford55

Timing chain

first and foremost love my c. sounds like a biatch under throttle :) problem i have is at idle i can hear a noise from engine kinda like a chain going round..... i had a mark two golf which i thought had tappet probs and feel this may be the timing belt on the c it has done 107m is this about the time i should be making sure the belt or chain is tensioned properly????any help mucho appreciated

Rickford :oops:

take my advice, don't run the car any more. you'll risk the chain jumping and knocking the timing out, which means bent valves.

been there, done that, never again.

VR6's do get a bit noisy with ago, but at 107K, it's going to need doing, so if it's a noticable noise (i.e, a whirring racket, not just a sound) then time to get a new set of chains and tensioners.

loads of threads on here about that.

soz to get this back up but when you say death rattle wit ya mean.......

if i stand back form the car i can hear engine more than exhaust not really loud but there....... cant explain any better wanna undrstand what you guys mean.....

There used to be a sound clip somewhere on here. Can anyone find it? It's a fairly un-mistakeable clatter which has been likened to marbles being shaken in a biscuit tin.

Best wishes

RB

I have had a customer on the phone with this over the last week and he found part of the runner in the sump and still he insists on running it.