Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Rear Arch Work

Been having some problem lately with my rear arches and the fact they keep taking chunks outa my tyres...

Anyway i dont wanna get them rolled as i dont really wanna take the risk and have the paint cracking , which would mean the whole panel needing a respray which i dont really fancy..

Anyway i have had the car jacked up and have taken a pic to highlight the area of concern, i know the rear arches are double skinned, after discussions with various people it was highlighted that maybe i could just cutaway that section and then re-seal with a decent plastic based sealer?? I wouldnt have thought that cutting away a small section like the one highlighted would cause too much trouble would it??

DSCF3224.jpg

Excellent! i was only going to do a section but i may do the whole arch now!

How long have you been able to go with the 9s on the back after the arch work?

I took a grinder to the arches today! have to say it seems to have worked quite nicley!! i have taken off just the right amount so far but may need to remove a bit more if i want to go lower!

Also re-sealed them all up again , had no problems with the inner arch either! although i did slip slightly and scratch the paint a little so be carefull! Will polish out though thankfully! If anyone does decided to go down this route definately take care when doing it!!

I took a grinder to the arches today! have to say it seems to have worked quite nicley!! i have taken off just the right amount so far but may need to remove a bit more if i want to go lower!

Also re-sealed them all up again , had no problems with the inner arch either! although i did slip slightly and scratch the paint a little so be carefull! Will polish out though thankfully! If anyone does decided to go down this route definately take care when doing it!!

Fab. nice one. glad its sorted :)

for the time being i had to use this waxoil sealer, it goes rubbery when set. i think i still need to remove a bit more metal as it still rubs slightly after i lowered it another 20mm, although i think its better to do it in steps rather than take loads off at once. I have taken roughly 5mm from the front of the rear arch off and that has reduced rubbing quite a bit at the current ride height so its all good at the moment!

one thing i have noticed is that the driver side wheel sticks out roughly an extra 5mm or so compared to the other side?? i am taking this is a difference in panel tolerancing etc...?

I have 30mm adapters on the rear, the passenger side tucks in just right and never rubs... the driver side however is always the side that rubs...

Would it completely shag the handling if i had a 25mm adapter on the rear driver side and leave the 30mm on the passneger to even the look out??

I took the car out again today and its still catching on the driver side rear...slightly

does anyone have any pics of this as i want to do the same to my rear arches as i dont want to go down the 195 tyre route, prefer the width of the 205s, but the rubbing on the passenger side with the tt comps does my head in.

i have 8j d90's on the back with 215 45 16's on, its fairly low and does'nt rub. if im puttin 9j with the same size tyres whats the chance of rubbing?